Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Becoming a Fair Weather Shooter

I canceled this Saturday’s SASS match due to heat and fire danger.  Predicted to be between 114 and 119 with humidity in the teens. Potential Red Flag Warning too.  After shooting semi competitively for 30 years I find it more important to follow the two basic rules of  1) Be Safe, and 2) Have Fun. With the range being in the bottom of a canyon those temperatures suck the fun right out of the game and push the safety aspect away too.

Honestly 90% of the Florida matches are 85+ and like 50000% humidity. It's the damn swamp. Is that fair weather?

People get all weird about the rain but one of the best matches I've shot started at 9am, an absolute deluge of a monsoon hit at 9:05am and absolutely soaked everyone, all their gear, and (obviously) the field. It stopped raining at 10:00ish.

Other than having to drag my cart through the wet sand it was actually REALLY pleasant, we finished the match just as it was heating up again but I looked like I'd spent the day at the waterpark so it was quite cool.