Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Occluded dot - for training or for competition too?

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome thread! I shot production for about 2 years before I went into optics. I resisted as long as possible. Once it happened, I could see myself constantly getting stuck on a "dot focus". I decided to run it occluded for about 6 months straight. I ran it in practice (about 3-4 times a week live and dry) and at matches (USPSA about twice a month). I wasn't too concerned about the outcomes at either. After the 6 month period, I pulled off the occlusion (I use scotch tape that you can get at Walmart or similar, i use the matte finish version). I was surprised how eye-opening (see what i did there ;) ) it was. I will go back and forth now just to make sure I am keeping myself honest. 

For me, if I randomly occlude my optic then do some draw drills and find myself losing the target, that tells me that my brain is going back into front sight/dot focus mode. Then I will run it occluded for a little while. I don't really buy any fancy occlusions because the tape is cheap, won't leave residue on the lens and is always available. 

This seemed to work best for me. I do have some occasional shifts in focus to the dot, typically on a real tight partial or a hard target at distance but it doesn't seem to cost me too much time so it isn't a big deal in my opinion as long as it isn't every presentation or transition. 

Either way, hope all that helps. Good luck!

I use it as a training technique, and it works.  But only for static training.  I find when shooting occluded in a dynamic course, with random size targets, it doesn't work as well as using the dot as designed.