Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super Comp Glock 34 Barrel Mod?

creekdwellr

I’m trying to break into 38 super comp for majors in uspsa open division instead of using 9mm minor or hot loads of 9mm major. Seems pretty agreed upon by many to get a barrel that can handle the higher pressures of the 38 super comp. However I’m not finding any barrels. Seems like the benefits of the 38 super comp and running major in a match make it a no brainer but I’m wondering how everyone gets it setup. I see it’s popular with the 2011’s. I have a CZ Shadow 2 as well. Can the CZ handle 38 super comp with the stock barrel ? As I know it the hotter major loads of 9mm are a little longer and the compatibility isn’t great with Glocks and they’re a bad idea as well with a stock barrel. Do people not run 38 super comp with Glock models like the 34? My CZ shadow 2 is newer and I haven’t put as much into training and setting it up incase anyone is wondering why I don’t just run that instead. I’ve made a lot of modifications and done a lot of training with the Glock so I’d like to at least have an ideal setup completed. Anyone ever do 38 super comp with a Glock 34? If so how did you go about it with the setup?

A. terrible idea. That's why you can't find a barrel.

B. 38 SC won't fit in a mag most likely.

C. Ever fired a Glock shooting a 9MAJOR. It's like a small stick of TNT going off in your hands.

Please use Glocks for what they are designed for. Get an Open gun if you want to shoot Open.

You're welcome. 

17 minutes ago, creekdwellr said:

Ah got ok thank you for the input. What major guns are good options in your opinion. That are 38 super and aren’t 40 S&W. If you’ve shot 38 super how does the recoil compare to 40 s&w?

I've only shot super and 9MAJOR in comped guns so there is not really a comparison with 40. They are way louder but the recoil is mitigated compared to a 40.

Go to a match and ask somebody to let you put a few rounds through an open gun then you'll understand

I have both 40 open and 38super open guns. 

If you want to run an open gun, other than a 40s&w, you are most likely going to buy one already built, or have it built. Sarge pretty much nailed all the points dead on. 

As for the difference in recoil between 38super and 40s&w, it is subjective. The comp negates much of the recoil in both cases, with 38super using a lighter bullet so it has more gas to work the comp, whereas the 40s&w uses a heavier bullet, not as much gas to the comp, but recoil is about the same. 

One thing Sarge didn't say, but is an almost universal truth...Open is NOT cheap. If you try to go cheap, you'll end up probably spending more on the cheap setup (trying to get it to run reliably) than you would on a proven platform.

Posted (edited)

Got it this is making sense now with my internet surfing/readings. I just ported the barrel on my 34. The compensator mod is a little difficult in California if you don’t want to be outside of the law so I got the barrel ported at the price of leaving limited optics for open division. I just started uspsa competitions and I’m just now learning major and minor aren’t as simple at 9 and 40 and learning about the power factors are new for me.

what do you guys think of those EAA 2011’s and what 38 supers would you guys that are more experienced say are good models?

Edited by creekdwellr

Start reading this...

https://forums.brianenos.com/forum/32-open-pistols/

Ask 10 people and you will get 9 different answers.

Your best bet is to get one that is known to run, used, and shoot it and find out what you like and don't like. 

Another thing, don't go down the open rabbit hole thinking that you'll just buy ammo from manufacturers. Probably 99% of open shooters reload their own (9mj, 38super, and even 40open). If you can find majot PF ammo for any of them, it won't be readily available, over the counter, at your local gun store, Cabelas, Bass Pro, anywhere. 

The hottest 38super ammo that you can normally buy off the shelf won't make major, and most likely won't even run in your gun. The comp bleeds off so much gas, leaving less to work the slide, so most 38super guns run a 7-9lb recoil spring, whereas a non comped may run a 16-19lb recoil spring. Try shooting off the shelf 38super in a comped gun and you will pretty much have a bolt action pistol. 

Sounds like minor is where I’ll need to stay until I get reload equipment. Space for reload equipment is tough in LA. I thought if I was willing to pay for my ammo I could evade reloading but I didn’t know that 38 super major has all these limitations around purchases. Bummer. Thank you guys for educating the new kid.