Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Longshot In 9mm ?

alzo

I've just started playing with 9 Major and had two pounds of Longshot I got off a prize table a year or so ago. There are some other threads on 9mm Major which include the Longshot loads. I have had good results with 7.4 grains under a 125 gr JHP. Chronos at ~1340.

Anyone have any experience loading Hodgdon Longshot in 9mm ?

It works okay in Minor loads, but it's not the best. I don't shoot Open, so I have no idea how it works in Major loads.

What are the drawbacks that make it "not the best" in 9mm minor loads ?

I have loaded this powder in 40,45, and 357 , it likes to be loaded towards the max end of the load data . Reducing loads of LONGSHOT seems to increase the velocity spread quite a bit.

Travis F.

Anyone have any experience loading Hodgdon Longshot in 9mm ?

It works okay in Minor loads, but it's not the best. I don't shoot Open, so I have no idea how it works in Major loads.

What are the drawbacks that make it "not the best" in 9mm minor loads ?

besides being super-loud and having a really bright muzzle flash? not many drawbacks

for regular 9mm plinking ammo, something like universal clays, AA#5 titegroup or 231 might be a better choice.

Alzo - My gripe with LS in 9x19 is that it doesn't do anything other powders won't do with less powder. Part of the problem here is Hodgdon's data - their max book load is so low I got smoked cases, indicating low pressure. I didn't notice high muzzle flash; in fact, this is my preferred powder for jacketed bullets in .357 Magnum due to the relatively low flash at Major velocities.

Titegroup is much better for 9x19 - in fact, the load of 4.2 grains of TG under a 124-125 grain jacketed bullet is a standard accuracy load for many of us here on the Forum.