Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me kit out a pair of Gen5 G17's for USPSA

DacoRoman

I currently have a Gen5 G17 that I’ve ran in USPSA as a Carry Optics gun.

The specs are as follows:

• milled to a depth of 0.150” for an RMR (Southwest Precision in AZ)
  • Holosun 508T
  • 25 cent polish on the trigger internals, added a “-“ connector and a 5.0lb striker spring
  • Stock RSA

I have a 507Competition on a Gen 3 G17 that will probably be moved to the Gen 5 described above.

I’d like to get a second Gen 5 G17 so I can have a training and a match pistol.

My thought is to keep it simple and consistent and get the second pistol milled just like my existing pistol.

But if I decide to get the second pistol in the MOS format (I’d run a good aftermarket plate on it, not the stock MOS plate), would the increased optic height mess with my Presentations and cause increased muzzle flip? Cause optic brass strikes? Should I just stick with milling?

Or would the ~ few mm’s difference be unnoticed?

Secondly, I would like to fine tune my trigger a bit more. I’m thinking of:

• Using a reduced power drop safety plunger spring
  • Trying a TTI connector and a TTI increased power trigger return spring
  • Continue using a 5.0 lb striker spring, or possibly going down to 4.5 lb

In fact I’m now seeing the TTI grand master connector kit, that seems to come with a 4.5lb striker spring, and I’m just thinking of getting that. And if I get light strikes, just putting in a 5.0lb spring

As reference, I have a Gen 3 G17 with a .25 cent polish job, a Zev trigger return spring (it’s probably an increased power spring), a Zev Race Connector (discontinued), a decreased power plunger spring, and I think a 5.0 lb striker spring (it may be a 4.5, I’m not entirely sure), and I absolutely love that trigger. Out of some 3000 rounds I got a light primer strike only last week, with Magtech ammo.

I would like to achieve a similar trigger pull in my Gen 5’s. Would the TTI set up give me a similar trigger feel/pull do you think?

Last Question:

Which Mag extensions do y’all recommend? I’m looking at the Henning Group +6 Mag extensions - I like the idea of that set screw to keep the base plate from being launched. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Henning extensions are very nice. 

TTI kit is a simple way to do things. Will be very reliable, it’s about 4.5# striker spring. 

MOS with FCD plate has yet to let me down. Haven’t shot direct mill and MOS side by side to compare index. 

I have some direct mill guns and some that use plates - chpws.    I couldn’t tell you a real difference in how that present or shoot.  I prefer the greater engagement of the direct mill but my other rigs have had few issues.   

I have been having enough issues with my Timney trigger that I am thinking about the Johnny glock version of the GPT.   If that isn’t reliable, I will likely go back to stock with a polish job and a minus connector.  

I run a mix of Dawson and TTI mag extensions and hav head no issues with either.  

2 hours ago, DeepFried said:

Henning extensions are very nice. 

TTI kit is a simple way to do things. Will be very reliable, it’s about 4.5# striker spring. 

MOS with FCD plate has yet to let me down. Haven’t shot direct mill and MOS side by side to compare index. 

Great feedback thank you!

1 hour ago, Desk-Jockey said:

I have some direct mill guns and some that use plates - chpws.    I couldn’t tell you a real difference in how that present or shoot.  I prefer the greater engagement of the direct mill but my other rigs have had few issues.   

I have been having enough issues with my Timney trigger that I am thinking about the Johnny glock version of the GPT.   If that isn’t reliable, I will likely go back to stock with a polish job and a minus connector.  

I run a mix of Dawson and TTI mag extensions and hav head no issues with either.  

That's great info thanks. If I do get an MOS gun it'll be slightly cheaper too, and quicker to get going, an aftermarket plate being around $70 if I remember right, instead of $100 for the milling and $100 for a black nitride re-finish plus a month turn around time. 

But yeah, the prospect of the direct mounting and having a pistol that is exactly the same as my existing one is hard to say no to.

A GM buddy really likes and recommends the Dawson mag extensions, I'll be looking at them too...and the TTI's seem great too. Good to know there are a few good options. 

Thanks for relating your experience with the Timney trigger..what issues are you having if you don't mind me asking?

I've got four different glocks (3 Glock 47 MOS, 1 G17 MOS) all set up for USPSA carry optics. I use henning extensions on all of them. I have two with silicon carbride, two with talon grips. All have ghost mag release extension. Two have trijicon sros, two have holosun comps, All have forward control designs plates. Two have carver recoil rods with wolff springs. 

As for the triggers all have a glock performance trigger with a taran connector in them. I started with a taran gm kit in one, then got a timney in one, had some issues with striker drag after some finess I got it working 100% then added the vex shoe, after the GPT got released I figured might as well throw that in all of them for consistency sake, 1 dropped in great and the other 3 felt like trash but all got way better when I swapped the connector in them to the taran connector. 

Let me say that the TTI Connector kit and spring pack is the way to go. Seriously, once the trigger pull weight is decent I don't even think I notice the difference on the clock at speed. 

Don't fall into the trap of trying to get the triggers to be perfectly identical, the springs and how it wears in they will all feel similar at speed, but different when you're in the living pulling the trigger real slow letting it creep till it breaks. 

Just get a MOS, throw on a FCD plate and optic of your choice, the tti connector kit/polish job, a talon grip and let it rip.

1 hour ago, Itgma said:

Just get a MOS, throw on a FCD plate and optic of your choice, the tti connector kit/polish job, a talon grip and let it rip.

yep, this is sound advice. 

TTI extensions have treated me well, I use them for practice. On sale this weekend. Get a few and the GM kit while your at it. 

Henning fits the gauge better, he doesn’t quite play that extreme fine line on length that most others seem to. 

For reference I used the TTI GM kit for a while and now just use Wolff 4.5 striker and RP plunger. I’m opposite of a trigger snob though. Grip and rip, easy to get lost in how they feel while fiddling in basement then a few bill drills later I couldn’t tell you how smooth the trigger is.

At some point I’ll try the GPT, wonder why the TTI connector makes it good? Essentially it’s a longer minus connector, moving the break rearward and reducing over travel. 

7 hours ago, DeepFried said:

At some point I’ll try the GPT, wonder why the TTI connector makes it good? Essentially it’s a longer minus connector, moving the break rearward and reducing over travel. 

So I don't know if they made changes in different runs of the GPT, but the very first one I got very soon after release was incredible, just dropped it in and felt like a well done timney! A few months later I decided to get two more, one didn't even function after dropping it in (the saftey tab in the trigger would not disengauge). The one I purchased most recently the break was over 7lbs (measured on a wheeler). I 'think' the connector was bent too far outward maybe (didn't check, ripped it out and threw it in the pile of spare parts) and swapped to a Taran and that fixed the issue.

I'm not a gunsmith, I'm not a glock expert or claim to be, this has just been my experience sample size of four. 

I'm just running MOS plates on mine.  I'll mill at some point but I'm not there...

I've been through most of the trigger options - from .25 cent to $400 full Johnny Glock set up.

I'm using the TTI kit with the Apex trigger and that will be my set up on everything going forward. 😉  Good enough and it will always go BANG. That has not been my experience with some of the others.

On 5/24/2024 at 11:01 PM, DacoRoman said:

That's great info thanks. If I do get an MOS gun it'll be slightly cheaper too, and quicker to get going, an aftermarket plate being around $70 if I remember right, instead of $100 for the milling and $100 for a black nitride re-finish plus a month turn around time. 

But yeah, the prospect of the direct mounting and having a pistol that is exactly the same as my existing one is hard to say no to.

A GM buddy really likes and recommends the Dawson mag extensions, I'll be looking at them too...and the TTI's seem great too. Good to know there are a few good options. 

Thanks for relating your experience with the Timney trigger..what issues are you having if you don't mind me asking?

I have two Timney triggers in guns as of now.  One gen 3 17 that is my old production gun.   It has been flawless over 1500 rounds but I don’t shoot a lot of production anymore.   

I had another in a gen 5 17 and it had an occasional failure to reset over 1000 rounds.  I put that trigger in a new gen 5 34 and it started having more frequent reset issues.  I shot one match with it and it was failing about every 5th round.   I pulled it apart and cleaned everything and put in a Johnny glocks extra power reset spring.   If it shoots, I will leave it alone.   If it still has problems, I will probably go with a glock performance kit from Johnny glock. 

As I have researched the issue, it seems like people are encountering issues with Timney triggers in glocks that work for a while and then start having issues.   My guess is they don’t love to run dirty in the same way as stock glock triggers do/did.  

On 5/25/2024 at 1:09 AM, Itgma said:

I've got four different glocks (3 Glock 47 MOS, 1 G17 MOS) all set up for USPSA carry optics. I use henning extensions on all of them. I have two with silicon carbride, two with talon grips. All have ghost mag release extension. Two have trijicon sros, two have holosun comps, All have forward control designs plates. Two have carver recoil rods with wolff springs. 

As for the triggers all have a glock performance trigger with a taran connector in them. I started with a taran gm kit in one, then got a timney in one, had some issues with striker drag after some finess I got it working 100% then added the vex shoe, after the GPT got released I figured might as well throw that in all of them for consistency sake, 1 dropped in great and the other 3 felt like trash but all got way better when I swapped the connector in them to the taran connector. 

Let me say that the TTI Connector kit and spring pack is the way to go. Seriously, once the trigger pull weight is decent I don't even think I notice the difference on the clock at speed. 

Don't fall into the trap of trying to get the triggers to be perfectly identical, the springs and how it wears in they will all feel similar at speed, but different when you're in the living pulling the trigger real slow letting it creep till it breaks. 

Thanks for info and suggestions! And great point about not getting too obsessive to have identical triggers, cause it ain't likely gonna happen!

On 5/25/2024 at 3:13 AM, DeepFried said:

yep, this is sound advice. 

TTI extensions have treated me well, I use them for practice. On sale this weekend. Get a few and the GM kit while your at it. 

Henning fits the gauge better, he doesn’t quite play that extreme fine line on length that most others seem to. 

For reference I used the TTI GM kit for a while and now just use Wolff 4.5 striker and RP plunger. I’m opposite of a trigger snob though. Grip and rip, easy to get lost in how they feel while fiddling in basement then a few bill drills later I couldn’t tell you how smooth the trigger is.

I'm sold on the TTI GM kit I'll order some. I'm still going back and forth on the Henning vs TT mag extensions.. analysis paralysis! It sounds like either are GTG and I can't make a wrong choice. 

Where do you order your Wolff striker and RP plunger springs? 

Yeah a great Grip will "fix" many a trigger issue :D

Thanks for the explanation regarding the TTI connector! I was wondering how it differs from the glock minus connector. 

On 5/25/2024 at 11:22 AM, Itgma said:

So I don't know if they made changes in different runs of the GPT, but the very first one I got very soon after release was incredible, just dropped it in and felt like a well done timney! A few months later I decided to get two more, one didn't even function after dropping it in (the saftey tab in the trigger would not disengauge). The one I purchased most recently the break was over 7lbs (measured on a wheeler). I 'think' the connector was bent too far outward maybe (didn't check, ripped it out and threw it in the pile of spare parts) and swapped to a Taran and that fixed the issue.

I'm not a gunsmith, I'm not a glock expert or claim to be, this has just been my experience sample size of four. 

Interesting about the GPT..just to clarify, the GPT has its own type of connector, not a minus one?

I'm not inclined to try a GPT since I can be fine happy with even just the polish job, a minus connector and a 5# striker spring, and I'd rather not have the striker 100% pre tensioned, which I understand the GPT does...or am I wrong? 

21 hours ago, Chutist said:

I'm just running MOS plates on mine.  I'll mill at some point but I'm not there...

I've been through most of the trigger options - from .25 cent to $400 full Johnny Glock set up.

I'm using the TTI kit with the Apex trigger and that will be my set up on everything going forward. 😉  Good enough and it will always go BANG. That has not been my experience with some of the others.

great data points! I've thought about a Johnny Glock trigger but that will bust the budget I've self imposed :D

good to know about the Apex Trigger! I was wondering about it...does it come with its own connector? But since I pretty much just polish my own OEM Glock trigger bars and I don't mind the OEM Glock trigger shoe, I wasn't sure if it's worth it to go Apex...do they do anything different geometry wise to their trigger bar compared to OEM?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Desk-Jockey said:

I have two Timney triggers in guns as of now.  One gen 3 17 that is my old production gun.   It has been flawless over 1500 rounds but I don’t shoot a lot of production anymore.   

I had another in a gen 5 17 and it had an occasional failure to reset over 1000 rounds.  I put that trigger in a new gen 5 34 and it started having more frequent reset issues.  I shot one match with it and it was failing about every 5th round.   I pulled it apart and cleaned everything and put in a Johnny glocks extra power reset spring.   If it shoots, I will leave it alone.   If it still has problems, I will probably go with a glock performance kit from Johnny glock. 

As I have researched the issue, it seems like people are encountering issues with Timney triggers in glocks that work for a while and then start having issues.   My guess is they don’t love to run dirty in the same way as stock glock triggers do/did.  

For a competition gun cleaning the trigger every 500-1000 rounds isn't a deal breaker I'm thinking. Haven't people started complaining about the GPT as needing to be cleaned to ensure reliability too? Although, yeah I'd rather have a trigger that's more reliable than not. 

Also, a buddy recommended the Pyramid Triggers from the Glock Store, I think it was. Anyone have any data/opinions on these?

Edit:

Pyramid Triggers: https://www.glockstore.com/Complete-Non-Adjustable-Pyramid-Trigger-for-Gen-5-Glocks

Edited by DacoRoman

31 minutes ago, DacoRoman said:

great data points! I've thought about a Johnny Glock trigger but that will bust the budget I've self imposed :D

good to know about the Apex Trigger! I was wondering about it...does it come with its own connector? But since I pretty much just polish my own OEM Glock trigger bars and I don't mind the OEM Glock trigger shoe, I wasn't sure if it's worth it to go Apex...do they do anything different geometry wise to their trigger bar compared to OEM?

I lifted my set up straight from Ben Stoeger's setup.  He shooting a ton of rounds and it's holding up, good enough for me. 😃

I have a G5 47 with the Glock Performance trigger in it as well.  I like it but it needs to be cleaned and oiled.  Ben hated that but it's not a deal breaker for me.  I REALLY like the feel of it in the 47, it had more of a "wall" and break than most Glock triggers. 😉

If you read some of the other threads here you'll see my experience with the JG trigger.😉

50 minutes ago, DacoRoman said:

I'm sold on the TTI GM kit I'll order some. I'm still going back and forth on the Henning vs TT mag extensions.. analysis paralysis! It sounds like either are GTG and I can't make a wrong choice. 

Where do you order your Wolff striker and RP plunger springs? 

Yeah a great Grip will "fix" many a trigger issue :D

Thanks for the explanation regarding the TTI connector! I was wondering how it differs from the glock minus connector. 

Just buy TTI while on sale this weekend. Great bang for buck. 

Springs directly from wolff. Once a year order everything up and I’m set.

apex uses their own trigger bar and connector. I like the feel of the shoe a lot, otherwise it’s just a Glock trigger. Ben made a YouTube vid recently about the apex + TTI combo, his experience is worth a lot more than mine but I also like the setup. 

On 5/26/2024 at 4:08 PM, Chutist said:

I lifted my set up straight from Ben Stoeger's setup.  He shooting a ton of rounds and it's holding up, good enough for me. 😃

I have a G5 47 with the Glock Performance trigger in it as well.  I like it but it needs to be cleaned and oiled.  Ben hated that but it's not a deal breaker for me.  I REALLY like the feel of it in the 47, it had more of a "wall" and break than most Glock triggers. 😉

If you read some of the other threads here you'll see my experience with the JG trigger.😉

Yeah I rate any Ben Stoeger knowledge very highly! I decided to try Talon Grips because of him :D (and so far I think they are great)

I'll look up your posts on the JG trigger, I am indeed curious.

On 5/26/2024 at 4:15 PM, DeepFried said:

Just buy TTI while on sale this weekend. Great bang for buck. 

Springs directly from wolff. Once a year order everything up and I’m set.

apex uses their own trigger bar and connector. I like the feel of the shoe a lot, otherwise it’s just a Glock trigger. Ben made a YouTube vid recently about the apex + TTI combo, his experience is worth a lot more than mine but I also like the setup. 

I just ordered two TTI GM connector competition kits that come with a 4.5# striker spring.

I just got a second misfire out of 300-400 rounds using my Gen 3 set up that has a 4.5# striker spring in it using Magtech 124's, so I'll also be getting some Wolf 5.0# springs just to have. I think the Magtech primers may be harder than the CCI Blazers I was using. 

Good to know about the Apex trigger bar and connector. I have a buddy that has it on his G45 so I'll ask him to let me shoot it to see how neutral of a trigger pull I can get using that flat face shoe. I'm typically used to the OEM trigger shoe...and interestingly I think I get the most neutral pull using the old Gen 3 "target" trigger shoes that used to come on the Gen3 G19's! But that's another story :D. 

Another weird question though!

Do you all think that it is possible to shoot a Gen 5 G17 for Training and a Gen 3 G17 for Matches (or vice versa)...once I get the same Talon Grips for my Gen 5, and a second H507 Comp, and put the TTI kit in the there?  

It'll be interesting to see how differently the Gen3 and Gen 5 will feel and behave...

I have OEM recoil springs in both..

...it may be a psychological thing to want two identical Gen5 G17's...but I'm starting to wonder if I even need to get a second Gen 5 G17 at all, at least right now. 

Thoughts?!

Just me but.... I'd just shoot Glock you like best ALL THE TIME. Keep the other for a backup.  It's not like you can wear a Glock out! 🤣

I'm considering a 17.5 myself for CO so I'm flagging this thread for reference in addition to responses.  I've been shooting gen 3 Glocks for many years but the integrated magwell on the gen 5 is super appealing.

2 hours ago, Chutist said:

Just me but.... I'd just shoot Glock you like best ALL THE TIME. Keep the other for a backup.  It's not like you can wear a Glock out! 🤣

😮 I think you just blew my mind….You are so Right! I’m shooting around 12K rounds per year so one pistol should last me at least 4.5 years! 😁

I’ll just have to change out springs periodically. 

I just bought another 507 Comp and all the aforementioned springs, etc. for the Gen 5 so we’ll see which one I end up liking better! 

2 hours ago, Ryan N said:

I'm considering a 17.5 myself for CO so I'm flagging this thread for reference in addition to responses.  I've been shooting gen 3 Glocks for many years but the integrated magwell on the gen 5 is super appealing.

you know, I don’t notice a difference on the timer when I practice reloads between the Gen 3 and Gen 5, although it may be different for you…the flared magwell on the Gen 5 is not all that significant for me..but I certainly don’t want to talk you out of a Gen 5!

9 hours ago, Chutist said:

This response is on point.

I shoot one gun all of the time, and have another as a just in case back up. Originally had some plan to share the workload between match and practice guns but the new gun has remained in pristine condition for quite a while.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DacoRoman said:

you know, I don’t notice a difference on the timer when I practice reloads between the Gen 3 and Gen 5, although it may be different for you…the flared magwell on the Gen 5 is not all that significant for me..but I certainly don’t want to talk you out of a Gen 5!

Haha, I too have been able to achieve some slick reloads with the Gen 3 but every once in a while, a slight misalignment has caused the feed lip to catch on the unflared Gen3 magwell.  I don't intend to depart from all my Gen 3 guns... at least not entirely.  

Edited by Ryan N

On 5/28/2024 at 3:33 AM, DeepFried said:

This response is on point.

I shoot one gun all of the time, and have another as a just in case back up. Originally had some plan to share the workload between match and practice guns but the new gun has remained in pristine condition for quite a while.

well you gents just saved me some money…I’ve decided to set up the Gen 3 and Gen 5 the same and see which I like better, shoot that pistol primarily and keep the other one for backup, or put a mag-well on the Gen3 and use it as a Limited Optics gun…just to get the Stacatto guys to look at me funny 😆 

On 5/28/2024 at 4:42 AM, Ryan N said:

Haha, I too have been able to achieve some slick reloads with the Gen 3 but every once in a while, a slight misalignment has caused the feed lip to catch on the unflared Gen3 magwell.  I don't intend to depart from all my Gen 3 guns... at least not entirely.  

Roger that. I’m going to keep a few Gen 3’s if only for the fact that I have the most spare parts for them compared to the Gen 5’s. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DacoRoman said:

well you gents just saved me some money…I’ve decided to set up the Gen 3 and Gen 5 the same and see which I like better, shoot that pistol primarily and keep the other one for backup, or put a mag-well on the Gen3 and use it as a Limited Optics gun…just to get the Stacatto guys to look at me funny 😆 

Roger that. I’m going to keep a few Gen 3’s if only for the fact that I have the most spare parts for them compared to the Gen 5’s. 

Sounds like an good plan and in line with what I plan to do.  I've had similar thoughts about LO since I already have a brass magwell. 😉  I too have quite a few gen 3 parts in the parts bin after 20 years of shooting them.  

Edited by Ryan N