Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Staccato P mainspring housing

5 hours ago, deerslayer said:

I recently got a model P and want to put in a steel mainspring housing.  Dawson says theirs does not fit gen 2 Staccato grips.  Anybody know why?

Dawson would probably be the best place to get that answer.

2 hours ago, 392heminut said:

Dawson would probably be the best place to get that answer.

I plan to call them (and Staccato) tomorrow and maybe get an answer if they answer the phone.  I was just curious if anyone else had run into this.  

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, ALL_comped_EVERYTHING said:

I’m almost certain it with work but I’m not sure it will work with the Gen 2 grips magwell.   I would call Dawson Precision. Staccato will just say they recommend everything stay stock. 

I called them both.  Dawson said yeah the gen 2 grip is different and uses its own MSH and mag release, which we don’t make.  Staccato was absolutely no help.  I didn’t realize they became another “send it to us and we’ll fix it, but we won’t sell you the parts” company.  Makes me want to put a gen 1 grip on it and bypass the Staccato proprietary BS.  I miss STI.  

Edited by deerslayer

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

I called them both.  Dawson said yeah the gen 2 grip is different and uses its own MSH and mag release, which we don’t make.  Staccato was absolutely no help.  I didn’t realize they became another “send it to us and we’ll fix it, but we won’t sell you the parts” company.  Makes me want to put a gen 1 grip on it and bypass the Staccato proprietary BS.  I miss STI.  

I would say have a little patience and let the guys like Dawson know that you're interested in an aftermarket part. If they get enough feedback then someone will most likely start making the part. I would think that it would only take a couple of tweeks to the CNC program to produce it.

Owners of the new gen. Colt Python that were unhappy with the factory sight did just that. Kensight now makes a much better replacement, after they initially said there was not enough market for it.

• 4 weeks later...

My buddy ordered a steel one from EGW  that will fit in my prodigy but will not slide into a staccato grip. It’s slightly wider than the factory MSH, maybe with some time filing it will go in but not sure if he’s going to bother with it.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Jnex95 said:

My buddy ordered a steel one from EGW  that will fit in my prodigy but will not slide into a staccato grip. It’s slightly wider than the factory MSH, maybe with some time filing it will go in but not sure if he’s going to bother with it.

I filed about .008 of each side of a Dawson and got it to fit, only to find out that the hole for the mainspring housing pin doesn’t line up.  I found an undrilled one at EGW, but putting that hole in exactly the right place is above my pay grade…

Edited by deerslayer

15 hours ago, deerslayer said:

I filed about .008 of each side of a Dawson and got it to fit, only to find out that the hole for the mainspring housing pin doesn’t line up.  I found an undrilled one at EGW, but putting that hole in exactly the right place is above my pay grade…

Weird, never would have thought about the pin