Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reduced Loads For 308 Surplus Ammo (heman)?

ArnisAndyz

I just got an excellent deal on Surplus 308 ammo (cheaper than buying the individual components for reloading). They shoot accurate enough and have been reliable, I haven't chrono'd them yet, but they do have considerable recoil, probably way over minimum power floor. I pulled a sampling and took an average of the powder charge...it looks like 43.6 grains of some short stick type powder (unknown since its surplus).

With the powder being an unkown, I can't look it up in the manuals, I don't know what the minimum starting point would be. Is it safe to use the known charge of 43.6 grains and work down from that maybe one grain at a time? I'm shooting an HK91 which requires a pretty stout load to work the action, I was thinking of downloading until the gun doesn't cycle reliably and bumping it back up slightly for reliability.

Do you think the reduced recoil will be worth the time? Will I be able to tell the difference by removing a couple grains? I know its not a very "Heman" thing to do, but its not cheating if I'm not breaking any rules!

TIA

Edited by ArnisAndyz

:wacko: Just shoot it. If the recoil is too much, put a brake on the rifle. I can't imagine the labor involved would be worth the recoil reduction a JP or Wakal brake could provide. Just reading this post makes me want to break my bullet puller. I love the gaminess of the idea, though! :D

I know its not a very "Heman" thing to do, but its not cheating if I'm not breaking any rules

ObNote: In USPSA's flavor of Heavy Metal, the rifle ammo has to "make major". Sort of helps keep the spirit of "He Man" intact....

ObNote: In USPSA's flavor of Heavy Metal, the rifle ammo has to "make major". Sort of helps keep the spirit of "He Man" intact....

I hear ya...but these rounds are at SUPER HEMAN level! We had one stage where we had to shoot a steel then paper, steel, then paper, etc... everyone else in HeMan had a nice "gong" compaired to the ARs, but when I shot it, it went GONG!!! It's loads of fun, but I'd like to download it just enough to make major. Hemen can be gamers too! (By the way, I'm probably the smallest Heman there is!)