Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help setting up a Gen 5 G34 for USPSA CO

crsuribe

I have a couple Beretta 92X performance pistols pretty nicely set up for carry optics but I carry a Glock G45 and decided it would be fun to shoot a Gen5 G34 in competition and surprisingly won an auction with a lowball offer so it all came together for me to try this "for fun" idea...

Thing is my Berettas are pretty nicely tuned for my 130ish PF loads and they shoot great. So I want to set up the G34 to shoot as nicely as possible..

I know these guns come with the double spring guide rod and are pretty heavily sprung to handle all kinds of ammo... so I definitely want to address that as well as the heavy trigger pull. Not knowing much about what people are doing with Glocks in competition, I'm assuming going to a non captured steel guide rod and single spring around 11 to 14 lbs would be the ticket there, with a lighter striker spring and a lighter connector? I'll be running an RTS 2 on it, if that matters..
I also need recommendations on an extended mag release and mag base plates for 140mm OAL, I know the TTI's probably work fine but wondering if there's anything else I should consider...

Thanks for your help!

I have tried several (Vogel, Zev, Timney) triggers in my G34 and like the Timney the best. I got rid of the factory guide rod and used a stainless steel rod with a lighter spring (12 lbs I think off the top of my head). 

Just went down this rabbit hole. 

For background - I carried Glocks and was a LE Armorer for my dept. ;)

First up, years ago (10+)....

G35 with a trigger so light (2 pounds?)  it would double from time to time.  I forget who made it.  I'd have to go pull the Glock Box out of the safe to see.  But not recommended.  I ran this as a limited gun with irons.

Second try was a few years later,  I put a Timney in a Gen 5 G34.  Pro's? It stacks up nice with a clean break.  Con's - Still 4 pounds.  I find the trigger safety lever / Trigger face rubs my finger to the point of making is sore.  I was thinking of putting one of the Johnny Glock reshaped triggers on it.  It's very usable but....read on.

Third try is a FULL Johnny Glocks Competition Trigger group ( including the striker and springs ) I put in a second Gen 5 Glock 34.  I just got it a few weeks back and have only shot one match with it.  It's light about 2.5 pounds.  It's funny it has some "creep" in the take up in slow fire but if you slap it like you do in USPSA you never notice.  It feels like a revolver - it "rolls" though the stroke.  Not as much of a "wall" and break like the Timney.  His reshaped trigger feels great.  His stuff looks like Jewelry - polished and VERY shiny.  

After some match rain outs and work trips.  I finally got to shoot the trigger in a match last week.  Below is what I wrote Johnny after:

========================
I took it to an indoor range and ran 200 rounds to get it settled on Friday.  Shot a USPSA all classifier match Saturday.  8 Stages, it ran good for the first 6.  When “Unload and show clear” after stage 6, I pulled the trigger and the sear hesitated to release.  I took it to the safe area and removed the slide, everything looked good,  Wiped everything out quickly and reassembled.  Dry fired a few times and it worked okay.  

The next stage I engaged the first array, ran to the second and pulled the Trigger - Nothing, trigger was dead.  Racked the live round out, trigger reset and I finished the stage.  Back to the safe area and slathered the trigger group with oil.  Normally I don’t oil Glock triggers but I was out of ideas. Shot the last stage and it worked.

Don’t know where to go from here.  Gun has maybe 700 rounds and ran fine stock. I don’t understand it releasing the sear some times and not the next?   What should I do to “fix” it?

====================================
Johnny's response:
"Back out The set screw that is either in the back of the trigger shoe or it's in the back of the trigger housing back it out a half turn counterclockwise"
=======================================
I've done that and will shoot it tomorrow at an indoor match. 

Read this far? LOL!!!!

LAST ONE -  I got a Glock Performance trigger as a gift this weekend and dropped it in a Glock 47.  Stock the gun was close to 6 pounds on a Lyman digital gage.  After?  About 3.5 pound, nice feel and a nice "break".  If had another Holosun 507 Comp to put on it, this gun would go to the match tomorrow.

If I had it to do over, knowing what I know now....🙃
Buy the Glock Performance trigger.  It's very similar to the Timney in feel with a better trigger face. 100 Bucks DONE.

Happy to field any follow up questions. 

------ Mags & stuff -----
Talon Grip tape applied with a heat gun is great!

Optic - Holosun 507 Comp.  ( I have others, this is what I'll buy more of at this point)

Base pads - I have one Henning (23) & one very old Grams(22). Both work fine. I have TTI on a bunch of other stuff and I'm sure they are fine on Glocks too.  One note - I bought and MBX Spring and Follower that was supposed to get 24 with the Henning.  I spent a half hour but I could NOT get that thing in the mag and get the base pad on!  The regular Henning spring? No problem... I might buy a Taylor Freelance to try.  

Oh and I WOULD NOT change any of the recoil springs.  It's a Glock, don't over think it. 😉 
Edited by Chutist

Running the Holosun 507Comp, CHPWS Brass speed feed, Talon grip tape on mine. Have used Glock performance trigger and Timney, currently running stock trigger. Timney was unreliable for me. Glock performance feels different as the gun gets dirtier, also has had failure to reset when dirty. I don't think I gained any performance for USPSA so went back to stock.

Taran basepads are reliable for 23+1 and I've found that to be fine.

I did get to shoot an indoor match with the Johnny Glock trigger in my G34 tonight.  Ran great after backing out the set screw 1/2 turn.  😀

I switched from sig to glock this year.   Gen 5 34.   I swapped out some controls for Vickers but left most things stock.

biggest performance improvement has been adding weight.   Brass light and a tungsten grip plug.   I tried just the light and it felt nose heavy.   Both really settle the gun down on recoil.   

trigger has been a problem.    Started with a timmeny that worked fine in another gun for about 500 rounds.   It was good for 200 rounds of practice but it stopped resetting on the 3rd stage in the first match.   I ordered the Johnny glock return spring.   If that doesn’t work I will try the glock pro trigger, probably the Johnny glock version.  

I haven’t touched the recoil spring yet but will probably go uncaptured steel guide so I can tune the springs once I find a load it likes.    I am also not super impressed with how it groups.   It is fine for USPSA but not as good as any gen 5 I have.   A new barrel might be in the cards.  

I had my Gen5-17 milled for an SRO, then, after many iterations, settled on:

- Glock Performance Trigger with JG Vex shoe. 
- Hyve Technology extended mag release. 
- Glock OEM extended slide stop. 

- GlockStore Thug Plug grip plug. 
- Carver Tungston uncaptured guide rod. 
- Various recoil spring weights. 

This combo has been working well for over a year.