Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jerry Miculek "trigger Job" Video

Cuz

I watched the video and from what he says, he is using a Norton India type stone. From looking over the Brownells catalog it appears to be a 6 x 1/2 x 1/2 inch stone, but is it a medium or fine grit? I don't think he says it or I just didn't catch it. Can anyone help here? Do I want the medium or fine grit stone?

Also, what kind of file is he using? He says it's flat on one side so as not to ruin part of the metal he's working on, but I couldn't quite catch what he says about the file. Can some one tell me what kind of file I need to do the work he talks about on the video? As best I can tell he only seems to use one stone and two files.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

Cuz, not sure what Jerry uses, but my own favorites are the 6x1/2x1/2 white ceramic stone, the spyderco 3-stone ceramic set (with square, round, triangle profiles), and the great little safe-edged file in the Kart EZ-fit barrel tool kit. All available from our friends (friends who strongly support the competitive handgunning sports, by the way) at Brownells.

Mike

Standard stone for S&W is a Norton MF46 1/2X1/2X6" Medium India Stone Brownell # 657-246-146

This is included in all Revolver Armorer kits from S&W. The length is important as it allows proper angle for sharpening the trigger. I also use a Fine, a Course, and an Arkansas cut to the same dimensions. My Dad worked for Norton for 42 years and kept me supplied.

As for the files, you need a Pillar file with sadfe edges (2 different sizes) and a Barrett file for cutting ratchets and sears. Don't forget the punch set as S&W uses rounded top pins so you will need the cupped punches. Round and square Babbit are good to have also for fine adjustment :lol:

While you are at it, if you are buying stones and files, I would suggest spare parts for anything you plan on stoning or filing :o I keep triggers, sears, rebound slides, cylinder stops, hammers, and a good assortment of springs. Then come the sight parts.

Good luck, and remember "File Flat"

Regards,

Standard stone for S&W is a Norton MF46 1/2X1/2X6" Medium India Stone Brownell # 657-246-146

This is included in all Revolver Armorer kits from S&W. The length is important as it allows proper angle for sharpening the trigger. I also use a Fine, a Course, and an Arkansas cut to the same dimensions. My Dad worked for Norton for 42 years and kept me supplied.

As for the files, you need a Pillar file with sadfe edges (2 different sizes) and a Barrett file for cutting ratchets and sears. Don't forget the punch set as S&W uses rounded top pins so you will need the cupped punches. Round and square Babbit are good to have also for fine adjustment :lol:

While you are at it, if you are buying stones and files, I would suggest spare parts for anything you plan on stoning or filing :o I keep triggers, sears, rebound slides, cylinder stops, hammers, and a good assortment of springs. Then come the sight parts.

Good luck, and remember "File Flat"

Regards,

Wow, that's a lot of "stuff". Thanks for the Brownells part #. That does make it easier.

Spare parts??? Spare parts are for sissies. I don't need no stinkin spare parts. Especially when there's nothing spare about them. With me they end up being replacement parts because I always end up needing them. :)

I watched the video and it certainly looks easy enough. I will order a stone and a couple of files just to "have on hand" when I open her up in case I get to feeling confident. Hopefully nothing will be needed except to replace the springs since the gun has already had a trigger job done to it. I'll hold off on ordering any spare parts because if I screw anything up it may give me an opportunity to buy one of Randy Lee's new hammers to put back in. :) I mostly just want to be able to take it all apart and know how everything works. Even I'm smart enough to know that buying a DVD does not make you a gunsmith. It mostly just makes you dangerous.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

Wow, that's a lot of "stuff". T I'll hold off on ordering any spare parts because if I screw anything up it may give me an opportunity to buy one of Randy Lee's new hammers to put back in. :) I mostly just want to be able to take it all apart and know how everything works. Even I'm smart enough to know that buying a DVD does not make you a gunsmith. It mostly just makes you dangerous.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

Have fun and keep us posted. If you want to see a randy Hammer let me know. My IDPA 625 sports one. Also, take a look at this diagram for reference. It is not the MIM style, but a lot of the parts are the same. The sear on this is what you need to fit an APEX hammer.

Regards,

post-2631-1136380441_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of "stuff". T I'll hold off on ordering any spare parts because if I screw anything up it may give me an opportunity to buy one of Randy Lee's new hammers to put back in. :) I mostly just want to be able to take it all apart and know how everything works. Even I'm smart enough to know that buying a DVD does not make you a gunsmith. It mostly just makes you dangerous.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

Have fun and keep us posted. If you want to see a randy Hammer let me know. My IDPA 625 sports one. Also, take a look at this diagram for reference. It is not the MIM style, but a lot of the parts are the same. The sear on this is what you need to fit an APEX hammer.

Regards,

Thanks for the graphic. I was trying to figure out how to pull it off your avatar last night and had meant to ask you about it.

-Cuz