Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver? Die on the vine?

-JCN-

More students

One of the guys I know casually from league had recorded videos of my runs yesterday. I hadn’t asked him to, but it was considerate of him to offer them to me. 

I really like it when people offer something before asking for something. 

It immediately helps distinguish them from the people who just want what they want.

It also helps separate them out from the people who think they’re doing you a huge favor but aren’t really meaningfully contributing. 

I invited him to the coaching / training club. 

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Hallmarks of a C class shooter:

Well, it turns out that I was on call for work again last night. I didn't realize that was the schedule when I offered to cover for my work friend earlier in the week.

I went to bed at 8pm because I was wiped out but thankfully didn't have to do anything overnight for work. So I'm awake early and going to do a little dry fire.

Was messaging with the new student yesterday:

IMG_4054.thumb.jpeg.e181674dde4d3309c8bc62613b56422e.jpegIMG_4055.thumb.jpeg.3da0db536f99553252f08b24bf85a511.jpeg

Watching him shoot on his regular squad at league, a couple things stood out to me.

Here are some observations of him and some of his other C class buddies that are keeping him in C class. Mind you, he's been shooting in USPSA as long as I have (~5 years) and does matches regularly.

C class pitfalls:

1. Accepting slop: No matter the performance, the self-talk and buddy-talk rationalizes and praises mediocrity. "Oh, a HF of 4.0 with two misses... not bad!" There was a lot of "nice run!" praise from the squad to each other. Now that's okay, IMO if people don't really care to improve. 

But when people wonder WHY they're not improving... and they're frustrated that they're NOT improving... 

I'm always looking to improve. I don't beat myself up about it, but I look for system and process changes to minimize recurring errors. 

2. Inconsistent feedback or lack of feedback: It's very common for a C class shooter to not own a timer and ignore objective metrics. This leads them to shoot by "feel" and unfortunately what "feels" fast often isn't.

One of the common hallmarks of this is that this type of shooter will move into position on a close target, take 2 seconds to settle into position and then rip a 0.17 split with a blind second shot that may or may not hit the target. They also tend to have one type of double... just a rapid, unrefined, non-visually corrected split that they can get away with up close but often have a number of misses and hit no shoots at distance.

Without a timer and breaking things down into sector times, it's really hard to appreciate the relative contribution of things by feel.

This was a common thing in racing. Changing speeds "feels" faster. But keeping the speed up gets you to the finish line sooner.

It's not about feels. It's about efficiency. To learn the language of efficiency, a timer and video to dissect out sectors and component contribution are key.

Not surprisingly, a number of C class shooters spend too much time on the transitions and not enough time on the splits.

Edited by -JCN-

Putting together the second training session:

Getting set up for the next training session with the IDPA guys and the C class shooters.

The four classifiers that I'm thinking of are:

ScreenShot2024-08-08at6_52_21AM.png.7de0358688c01ecff0e9bb4c02570703.png

In order to build skill levels and depth. First, max speed up close. Then at 7 yards. Then add transitions. Then do it with slower speed and precision. Sprinkle in reloads and SHO/WHO.

Get the fundamentals established before adding complexity of movement that can cloud judgment. 

You’re fired!

Well, that didn’t last long haha.

I was messaging with the new student and he said he didn’t really have time to dry fire. 

So he’s out. Not going to be worth my time to go in depth if he’s not going to practice, it doesn’t matter what I say to him… it takes some level of commitment to implement advice. 

I’ll help him casually, but if he’s not going to help himself real progress isn’t a realistic expectation. 

Posted (edited)

Grip strength

So this came across my reel

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C-Yj7A3NE2c/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Olympian grip strength (females and males)

It gives some context of the range of grip strengths. 

I think some builds and genetics are just what they are. Have to work with the mechanics you have. 

More context:

ScreenShot2024-08-09at6_11_16AM.png.a998d914a21c6171f5e7b334984430d7.png

ScreenShot2024-08-09at6_11_30AM.png.ad83d89b83ee4053052c91269cb1b00a.png

It's also interesting that my left grip is currently stronger than my right. Probably because of the injury of my right.

Edited by -JCN-

Regarding GM

I’m trying to be as transparent as I can about my classifiers and classification.

Asking advice from a local friend:

IMG_4073.thumb.jpeg.66fc177cb4cf27f9a4c7c8340f7bbc73.jpeg

I think what I’m going to try and do is just focus on improving skills but continue with the plan of using the 4 stand and shoot classifiers this Fall as core drills for the training group and for V. 

To think of it independently from classification goals. 

I think for the next training session, just two classifiers.

Right now, not all of the IDPA people have USPSA memberships.

I'm thinking to reduce the number of classifiers for now and not be as ambitious per session.

So probably cut back to just two classifiers.

Maybe Thrill of the Bill Drill and Six in Six.

That way we get fast functional and smooth accuracy with a little SHO/WHO and reloads.

We don't get transitions yet, but can still drill and demonstrate it... just not in the context of a classifier.

This my typical alpha Bill drill pace. 

Alien and Shadow 2. 

I’m going to instruct the IDPA group on the importance of index training with minimal correction. 

This came today

IMG_4077.thumb.jpeg.8a815c57d8575b1432c0f14274597caa.jpeg

I knew I remembered something funny from when I installed night sights on the previous one. 

IMG_4078.thumb.jpeg.e4e795f94e1af46998a8bb19a6e3155f.jpeg

When I get a chance next week, I’ll mount and zero the DPP micro on it. 

Gunsmif

IMG_4094.thumb.jpeg.4dc8deae130e5c859d7608b92c65e2cc.jpeg

Dovetail is just a little too loose for the Leopold.

IMG_4095.thumb.jpeg.bf8fbfd3cee4030496a2dcd6a2cdfc85.jpeg

Options are to drill and tap the center for the DPP dovetail plate. 

Versus build up the dovetail with epoxy. 

Versus peen the dovetail (aluminum so probably going to just shatter). 

Versus fab up and tap a plate. 

Baseline Bill Drill data

It’s from a surrender start. 

IMG_4099.thumb.png.eed4d7888af35a531bd59ca4a0c78e0f.png

IMG_4100.thumb.jpeg.8aac7ce3f40463b9b7825ec1173d483f.jpeg

I went at fast speed and it still wasn’t fast enough.

In this case, it’s anchoring speed and then improving mechanics. 

I need to cut a little time off draw. 

So now I know my times and can crisp up the mechanics. Doesn’t matter that the hits were s#!t because it’s still too slow. 

Priorities

Went to breakfast with the daughter before the range 

IMG_4098.thumb.jpeg.0e37ffcf19491a7a423a21943b2bd33c.jpeg

Did the above range session and now doing lessons. 

IMG_4104.thumb.jpeg.e765c8a9c65537439e2b2de610e3652c.jpeg

Just like dry fire, 20 minutes a day can get you pretty far if you focus. 

Shot a larger match today and really enjoyed my friends. I had spent enough time learning stages that they felt comfortable and that was nice. 

My maps were more robust and more complete. 

My shooting was decent. Still getting used to the gun somewhat. 

And my battery cover cracked so my dot intermittently faded and flickered so that hurt a little. 

I didn’t do my preshot routine on a “simple” stage and effed it up haha. 

Again just reiterating that I need my routine. 

I was happy how I finished and my gun has been running great. 

I’m very comfortable with M right now and enjoying actually shooting my classification. I don’t want to spoil that with a GM just yet. 

Mind games: I'm a big baby

I kind of need mental incentive to keep working on my objective skills.

I'm nervous about losing the GM carrot if I make it soon. That's what happened to CO with me before.

But the flip side is that I'm a gamer and I love objective challenges and when I set up to tackle objective challenges, I usually do pretty well with focused practice.

My stage planning has improved this year. My stage execution is improving. I definitely have to focus hard to execute properly, but that's expected.

When I review my stage video, I log errors:

1. Extra shots.

2. Not hitting position requiring step correction

3. Mental hesitation

4. Out of sequence engagement

5. Misses on steel

6. Delay on entry / exit

That way I focus on primary data... I can grade my own performance regardless of who else shows up to the match.

Note that #2, 3, 4 are non-shooting things. #6 is partially shooting. #1 and 5 are pretty much just shooting things.

I'm definitely improving on 2-3-4 but to improve more on 1-5-6, I need to keep working on my shooting (with movement and static).

Having objective efficiency performance data helps me also grade myself kindly as I get older and slower.

If I was maximally efficient, but my foot speed and movement is limited... that's the best I can do and I'm happy with that.

The flip side to that is that I can also grade others' performance in real time. Being at a larger match, there were shooters that I don't normally see shoot and it's easy to mentally log how many systemic errors they're racking up and their time and finishing position at the end correlate strongly. Add to that some additional assessment of the muzzle stability and quality of movement, it's pretty clear to gauge who falls in what performance category.

I'm still kicking around different mind game scenarios that preserve the fun and keep the carrot on the stick in the right balance.

Tentative plan might be trying to make Open M classifier numbers with an LO gun. That might keep me working on skills with an objective goal. I could also consider trying to outfit an Alien for major (but still only 21 round reloadable mags available).

Day off tomorrow 

V can’t shoot during the day, so I’m going to build walls and work on movement. 

I usually like to keep the round counts down to not annoy the neighbors at my range, so have been brainstorming options. 

I think I might be able to work entries and exits without full recoil. 

Perhaps. 

It might be like steel challenge where it’s like augmented dry fire with some more concrete trigger press feedback. 

This is what I’m going to try tomorrow. 

Suppressed P322 with optic. 

I only like suppressed fixed barrel pistols  so that there isn’t porpoising of a tilting barrel system. 

My previous lightest suppressor was an Aurora II. 

IMG_4196.thumb.jpeg.28b088ddfbe56a3f348cb4c475f749f1.jpeg

But now I have Q erectors. 

IMG_4197.thumb.jpeg.a4098a04b86a7812a20be5195231e0a2.jpeg

Close to the same weight, but the distribution of the steel initial segment brings the weight distribution a lot closer to the muzzle. 

Plus it’s modular… so if I’m just trying to take the edge off for neighbors…

IMG_4198.thumb.jpeg.d6691b4f85d40224fea6042679a79224.jpeg

For context, a steel screw on comp:

IMG_4199.thumb.jpeg.ce8de2a8efb9fb3917132afa34f00c7b.jpeg

For size comparison:

IMG_4200.thumb.jpeg.e304c833a39d1f80ba7bd9c4a23a4738.jpeg

Less baffling also will probably make less gas to my face. 

It’s interesting. The gun has no rear sights but my index is so good that I could feel the dot was off when I presented. 

I knew by my hands I was dead straight, but the dot was left. 

I confirmed with a laser that the dot was indeed off to the left. 

That was kind of cool. 

Kinesthetics and visual correction 

An example of kinesthetics without visual correction. 

It requires assumptions and reliable timing. 

I saw this video and it’s exactly the concept. 

The ball didn’t return at the speed at what he expected and knew. 

Sure, he could adapt to it like if he played outside on concrete or if there was a ball inflated to a different PSI. 

But inconsistency is the wrecker. Which is why consistent mechanics for recoil control and trigger timing is so important. 

And a reason staying with a known configuration helps you get the most out of it. 

It takes me a couple rounds of adaptation time to get used to a different cycle configuration, but when things get complicated with movement and transitions, that’s when you can really use that lack of processing adjustment and correction. 

Having a shooting buddy to bounce ideas off of. 

Me in green, V in black. 

IMG_4204.thumb.jpeg.d6e9be1f3cd1d8bdff5746ec549560e3.jpeg
IMG_4205.thumb.jpeg.a13767144a6790ae948a34f6de2adab9.jpeg

I don’t put a constant amount of time in working dry or live. I usually have bursts of motivation based off sub goals like a certain drill or upcoming match. 

But maybe I should go back to a time based schedule. 

Posted (edited)

Proof of concept

This has been a half baked idea of mine for years. My daughter is 7 and she’s more excited about the sport. 

This will be a good way to teach her ergos in the beginning. 

I think I’m probably expecting too much for accuracy from a toy gun, lol. 

My brain is screaming at the shots called good that wind up an inch over here or there… 🤪

When she does this for a few years with good ergos we might move to a 22LR. 

I just feel like having a lazy day and not working too hard at training. 

Edited by -JCN-

Posted (edited)

Zeroing by index

I’m a little impressed. 

The sights were way off last night so I zeroed by index. 

At 9 yards live fire:

IMG_4213.thumb.jpeg.91e1d7b3c23d0f3d0e8301b25b32d361.jpeg

I then dB tested short configuration erector. 

IMG_4214.thumb.jpeg.a6d562cdb8edc3c163b188572d957ef7.jpeg

Then full configuration (but it’s a little imbalanced)

IMG_4215.thumb.jpeg.5accaac8be0fcfbbd1c9188e0bd58c27.jpeg

Then split the difference and cut out two baffles off full configuration. 

IMG_4217.thumb.jpeg.9a0cfbe6b48b655326d7529b54f9e096.jpeg

I think that’s how I’m going to try and run it. 

Edited by -JCN-