Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Flags for Older 2011?

My LGS has a 1996-manufactured SVI Infinity 2011 Open Gun in 38 super. As far as I can tell this thing has been barely shot. Comp was clean and the magwell barely had any marks on it. I don't recall whether the grip was aluminum or plastic. Its a complete SVI gun and not a build. 

Were there quality issues with SVI when they were first building 2011s back then? Any significant differences in SVI builds or 2011s in general since then? What sort of issues should I expect on a 27 year old 2011? Mag compatibility issues? Would finding optic mounts be an issue?

Edited by Codename46
Clarity

Expect it to be more like a STI as far as parts than today's SV's,  The interchangeable breech face came around sometime around then but wasn't in all the guns.  The grips will most likely be plastic and compatible with STI mags. maybe not current-gen SV mags (some do, some don't), but it should be a fine gun in any case.

Metal grips are usually what break the front frame loop, but keep the main grip screws tight and you probably won't even notice it's gone.

I’m far from an expert. I heard rumors about high round count 2011 frames cracking where the little screw goes in on the front of the trigger guard. I’m pretty sure modern 2011 mags work in the older guns. I have 2 STI’s and staccato mags work great. Older mags were finicky. Staccato is on its 3rd Gen of magazine development. I have 6k rounds through the 2 guns and they have both run beautifully. No issues. They just keep getting smoother. Slides are still tight.

Edited by 80seriesaddict