Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What’s your Tac Rifle setup?

I’m looking into putting together a dedicated AR15 for tac rifle/2gun matches. The local ruleset is pretty relaxed so what’s your preferred build? The local match has steel out to 200. The only thing I’m really set on is a hiperfire eclipse trigger and the lower I already have. 

I’m debating between building an upper or just buying a Larue. I think the Larue might actually come in a little cheaper. 12.5” vs 14.5”? Muzzle compensator/suppressor and buffer of choice? LPVO with an offset dot vs a 510c with magnifier? What else am I missing? I’m not a rifle guy. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

1 hour ago, ColoradoNick said:

12.5” vs 14.5”

Either would be fine. 

If this is strictly a 2 gun rifle for 2 Gun matches I would lean towards the 12.5".  I have a purposed built 12.5" just for 2 Gun matches. EoTech with Magnifier with the games guts.  JP LMOS bolt, buffer to match with full blown muzzle break.  This year I intend to only shoot that for the 2 Gun matches, unless there is some insane small targets out at 200.

If you ever feel  you may want to 3-Gun, or attend a 3-Gun match to shoot in the 2-Gun division I might lean towards the 14.5".  That setup would give you more flexibility.  You will be shooting past 200yds in most instances for 3-Gun matches.  While one can shoot out to 300-500 yds using the red dot/magnifier combo, or even some can with just a red dot with large enough targets, most seem to prefer the flexibility and LPVO gives you past 300 yds.  14.5" guns will not limit you in the infield stages and be great for longer shots.  I will say I do prefer the 12.5" with the red dot/magnifier in the infield, but I do not feel I loose any time using my 16" with the LPVO and offset in the infield.  

Muzzle compensator/suppressor and buffer of choice?

Depends on the division and what you want to spend.

LPVO with an offset dot

I would lean towards this for the reasons mentioned above on a 14.5" Build.  

510c with magnifier?

I would lean towards the reasons mentioned above for the 12.5" build.  A few of the top end guys can easily shoot just a red dot out to the max distance 200 yds which is what the local PCSL rules for 2 Gun run.  

Something to keep in mind regarding distance shooting is unless you intend to invest a decent amount of time for practice, the LPVO and offset red dot may be the way to go.  I find that I do not have to spend a lot of time practicing to hang in the top 10 at locals.  It is like the easy button setup in my eyes.  If you go the red dot/magnifier route, you will need to spend a bit of resources (ammo/time) to get that setup dialed in to understand you correct holds for longer shots. 

You really cannot go wrong with any setup  of the components you have listed, you just need to set a budget and decide what you really want to concentrate your time to.  I think that would dictate a lot of the answers. 

2 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Either would be fine. 

If this is strictly a 2 gun rifle for 2 Gun matches I would lean towards the 12.5".  I have a purposed built 12.5" just for 2 Gun matches. EoTech with Magnifier with the games guts.  JP LMOS bolt, buffer to match with full blown muzzle break.  This year I intend to only shoot that for the 2 Gun matches, unless there is some insane small targets out at 200.

If you ever feel  you may want to 3-Gun, or attend a 3-Gun match to shoot in the 2-Gun division I might lean towards the 14.5".  That setup would give you more flexibility.  You will be shooting past 200yds in most instances for 3-Gun matches.  While one can shoot out to 300-500 yds using the red dot/magnifier combo, or even some can with just a red dot with large enough targets, most seem to prefer the flexibility and LPVO gives you past 300 yds.  14.5" guns will not limit you in the infield stages and be great for longer shots.  I will say I do prefer the 12.5" with the red dot/magnifier in the infield, but I do not feel I loose any time using my 16" with the LPVO and offset in the infield.  

Depends on the division and what you want to spend.

I would lean towards this for the reasons mentioned above on a 14.5" Build.  

I would lean towards the reasons mentioned above for the 12.5" build.  A few of the top end guys can easily shoot just a red dot out to the max distance 200 yds which is what the local PCSL rules for 2 Gun run.  

Something to keep in mind regarding distance shooting is unless you intend to invest a decent amount of time for practice, the LPVO and offset red dot may be the way to go.  I find that I do not have to spend a lot of time practicing to hang in the top 10 at locals.  It is like the easy button setup in my eyes.  If you go the red dot/magnifier route, you will need to spend a bit of resources (ammo/time) to get that setup dialed in to understand you correct holds for longer shots. 

You really cannot go wrong with any setup  of the components you have listed, you just need to set a budget and decide what you really want to concentrate your time to.  I think that would dictate a lot of the answers. 

Thanks buddy! I already have the LPVO so that pretty much settles that! 

Yup.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  Lot can be done to minimize recoil with a few specific parts.

One of those being an adjustable gas block if you want to run in the competition division.  I should have mentioned that.

I am running a 14.5 JP which has been really nice for my local matches which are quite similar to what you described.

Im still able to shoot out to 400-450 with no issues (running a Kahles K16i)

Seems to be a decent all around length!