Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GX vice holster IDPA legal or not?

DocMedic

Are you asking because of the warning they have here?

The GX VICE Holster is NOT LEGAL FOR IDPA COMPETITION…BUT WE HAVE YOU COVERED! Check out the GX Legacy Holsters for premium IDPA legal holster options!

Is it possible that the creator posted that some time ago in accordance with old rules and never updated it? There used to be a rule that says:

8.5.1.17 Holsters with screws or knobs that extend past the outer face of the holster are allowed if the adjustment screw(s) require a tool to change tension, the screws protrude less than 0.125” (3.2 mm) from the outer face of the holster, and they meet all other holster requirements. Additionally, all tension screws anywhere on a holster must require a tool for tension adjustment.

The tensioning lever that you can pull with your hand without using a screwdriver seems to violate that old rule, but I don't see that clause in the current rules.

Edited by ShooterQ

Correct, with the removal of 8.5.1.17 from the new rule book, I wonder if now 8.5.1.10 would prevent this holster from being used.  I would rather not drop another $100+ on a holster just for IDPA but would like to use the same holster I use for every other shooting sports.

Edited by DocMedic

Hm, yeah, that's a tough one. I imagine we need some answers from match directors.

8.5.1.10 Retention devices may be permanently removed or permanently disabled, but not temporarily disabled for a match.

If someone asked me for my interpretation, I imagine this rule was intended both to apply to duty holsters and to help people use the gear they have without giving them a speed advantage of starting with less retention than they "should" for IDPA purposes. Allowing Serpa with no button, but not allowing a Safariland with hood and button to be run with the hood down.

If I understanding it correctly, the GX Vice's lever is more of a locking mechanism while working/walking the range, similar to Open race holsters in IPSC/USPSA. Since that mode of retention isn't meant to be deactivated as part of the draw, 8.5.1.10 shouldn't apply in my non-expert opinion, same as say, a bungee cord that keeps the pistol in a bucket holster.