Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RFRI - receiver or barrel mounted rear sight?

2atlow8

I am currently shooting a stock 10/22 with Tech Sights for an indoor bowling pin shoot. I find myself missing the rear aperture while focusing on the front sight. I am thinking the aperture hole is too small and using a larger “ghost ring” type sight is the answer. 

Where is the ideal spot to mount such a sight? Barrel mounted, like the Volquartsen Open Sight Carbon Fiber barrel? Is a receiver mount a better choice? And then where on the receiver? Closer to the eye or further away?

50 minutes ago, 2atlow8 said:

I am currently shooting a stock 10/22 with Tech Sights for an indoor bowling pin shoot. I find myself missing the rear aperture while focusing on the front sight. I am thinking the aperture hole is too small and using a larger “ghost ring” type sight is the answer. 

Where is the ideal spot to mount such a sight? Barrel mounted, like the Volquartsen Open Sight Carbon Fiber barrel? Is a receiver mount a better choice? And then where on the receiver? Closer to the eye or further away?

Honestly a lot of this is personal choice on where you place the rear sight. Either way for SC the most popular sights are Wiland. They have a number of rear sight choices that are inexpensive and easily swapped out. Again it's going to be what works best for you.