Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dusty Chalk

Dusty_Chalk

Hi, I'm new ... to reloading, but old to life.  I'm also on Reddit (r/reloading) and Discord (Reloading) under similar names.  Interested in learning the basics, handloading 9mm, 22TCM, 300 Win Mag and not much else currently.  Unemployed with no savings (I didn't expect to live this long) so tend towards cheap/budget/value, but currently living at someone else's rural home on well water and septic, so need to not give him lead poisoning (I'm thinking home-made ballistics gel blocks in an InstaPot -- anyone ever done that?).  I enjoy the technical aspects of shooting, so was immediately drawn towards handloading (I really want to shoot 22TCM at Mach 2).

Hi from Northern Virginia.

Edited by Dusty_Chalk

1 hour ago, Dusty_Chalk said:

Hi, I'm new ... to reloading, but old to life.  I'm also on Reddit (r/reloading) and Discord (Reloading) under similar names.  Interested in learning the basics, handloading 9mm, 22TCM, 300 Win Mag and not much else currently.  Unemployed with no savings (I didn't expect to live this long) so tend towards cheap/budget/value, but currently living at someone else's rural home on well water and septic, so need to not give him lead poisoning (I'm thinking home-made ballistics gel blocks in an InstaPot -- anyone ever done that?).  I enjoy the technical aspects of shooting, so was immediately drawn towards handloading (I really want to shoot 22TCM at Mach 2).

Hi from Northern Virginia.

Lots of people don't remember the 70s but before there was ballistic gel, we tested bullets in wet newspaper. Similar results. And free!

Welcome to the forum.

On 12/10/2023 at 12:12 PM, Dr. Phil said:

Lots of people don't remember the 70s but before there was ballistic gel, we tested bullets in wet newspaper. Similar results. And free!

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks!  I remember the 70s (and yes, I know the rest of the joke -- I was not doing it right, LOL), but don't remember wet newspaper, I'll see what I can drum up.  Also, while I was researching this on my own, I came across ballistic steel and ballistic rubber for berms and bullet traps -- I'm not worried about penetration testing...yet...just stopping the bullet at a known location, so will look into a local 18 wheeler graveyard and perhaps one sheet of self-healing ballistic rubber to catch backsplatter and unfortunate ricochets.

• 2 weeks later...