Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions from an open NOOB

LarryL

2 minutes ago, Wanna_Go_Fast said:

Konkapot and others are right.  Make sure you keep your mags clean as well as the gun. Any and all issues I’ve had with my Limcat have been fixed by running a brush through the mags.  I shoot in Nj and the ranges here tend to be sandy.  

Thanks! I’m in NJ too and know what you mean. 

9 hours ago, Wanna_Go_Fast said:

That’s awesome!  Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!  Good luck with the new gun!

Fellow prisoner, i mean jersian. I agree, I learned the hard way to keep mags clean. Had a mad just stop feeding and ruined a stage. That night I bought  brush and clean them between stages if its sandy.

On 12/27/2023 at 6:59 PM, engineerjet said:

Fellow prisoner, i mean jersian. I agree, I learned the hard way to keep mags clean. Had a mad just stop feeding and ruined a stage. That night I bought  brush and clean them between stages if its sandy.

Haha.  I started shooting competitions with Glocks, which i barely even cleaned, so that made me so lazy.  That having been said, the first time a dirty mag messed up my match, i like you, ran out and bought a brush. 😀

On 12/8/2023 at 3:01 PM, LarryL said:

Hey everyone, I'm new to true open guns but am oooohh sooo tempted to pull the trigger on the Infinity IMM Open gun hitting the books next week. 

I am a bit of a noob tho with some questions about open guns, and hoping you fine folks can help point me in the right direction :)

For more context, I've been shooting for about 3 years now, mainly at the range for fun and doing local USPSA and knockdown matches. I enjoy these events, do them often, like getting better, but I'm not doing it be super competitive or a pro shooter... I'm doing it mainly for fun and because I enjoy the finer things in life (which is was brought me to Infinity). 

I currently have a Staccato XC which is a great gun that I love, but it put's me in open category and only runs minor ammo.... and then when I saw all these sick Infinity's I was like - yea, I need to have one. 

Anyway, for a true open gun like this my main concerns are ammo, maintenance, and reliability...

I don't plan to load my own ammo probably ever... I get that 38SC will cost me more that what I'm shooting now but fck it... you only live once haha...

Question 1 is - is there a real chance that ammo is hard to impossible to get from factory? I know there are a few places to get 38SC from now, but is this a valid concern? 

Question 2 is - I'm not a tinkerer... so outside of regular cleaning do these guns run, or is it something where I'll need to be much more hands on and always fix and adjust things? 

With the Staccato XC I keep it clean but have yet to fully fully take it apart, and I’m like 15-20k rounds in with never an issue.

aside from regular maintenance and changing springs I haven’t done much else. While I’m tempted to get the infinity, I don’t love the idea of having to fully take everything apart super often to make adjustments, etc..

is it really much different caring for an open gun than say my XC?

and Question 3 is - (kinda related to question 2), but are these things very fragile and/or break often... 
From the little research I've done, I've heard people say you need 2 open guns... one for shooting, and another one for when that ones in the shop lol. Any truth to this? 

Thanks for your time, and very much looking forward to joining the fam real soon..

Larry

Welcome to Open Division, where you can find the "need for speed", without having to reload too much 😉 

IMO if you want to compete in Open Division, major ammo and scoring is highly recommended. Otherwise and in general you already have a competitive disadvantage between 2 and 5% in points, just by shooting minor. Shooting minor ammo in a fully fletched open race gun might also negatively influence recoil, increase risk of jams and lets the compensator work less optimal.

Open guns, due to their tight tollerances, need more tender, love and care, than for example a CZ Shadow 2 in POD. For me for example, that implies cleaning and lubing them after all trainings and matches to keep them in pristine and optimal condition. I also preventatively replace all springs once a year. 

38SC ammo shoots softer than the snappier 9mm major, but is more expensive and more difficult to find. Most open race gun competitors in 38SC and 9mm major reload their own ammo to decrease overall ammo cost and to tune the ammo to their gun and their shooting style.

If you shoot in Open Division, especially in major, things do break: slides and frames crack, red dots fail, screws fall out, etc. Depending on the brand and how well you take care of them it might be at 5K, 40K or 75K rounds. One things for sure, sh*t happens 😉 

Have you considered other race guns than SVI, for example: Bul Armory, MPA, etc? You can almost get 2 of these for the price of 1 SVI. On the back up open race gun: that really depends on your personal level of competitiveness, the location and types of matches you shoot in. Me personally, I have 1 race gun I only use for training, 1 primary and 1 secondary match gun (that also serves as my back up training gun). In this way I never have to skip a training or a match. But again, depends on your personal ambitions.

Edited by StefVanHauwe