Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm bullet weight

PK1911

I understand bullet weight and recoil the same way as pretty much everyone here, but how come no one talks about changing recoil springs to match the load they're shooting? Is the general consensus to switch loads but not have the need to find the recoil spring to match? Isn't it a huge factor when it comes to slide return and therefore quicker readble sight picture? Genuinely curious as I'm relatively new compared to most here.

1 hour ago, Seanzky said:

Is the general consensus to switch loads but not have the need to find the recoil spring to match? Isn't it a huge factor when it comes to slide return and therefore quicker readble sight picture? Genuinely curious as I'm relatively new compared to most here.

No.  There have been many threads on how to tune your gun for a specific load.  You want the slide to have enough dwell time at the rear of the stroke to pick up the next round.  You want the sights to return to zero at the end of the stroke.  If the sights are high, you need a heavier recoil spring.  If low, lighter.  You fine tune by varying recoil and mainspring weights and the radius on the firing pin stop.

4 hours ago, zzt said:

No.  There have been many threads on how to tune your gun for a specific load.  You want the slide to have enough dwell time at the rear of the stroke to pick up the next round.  You want the sights to return to zero at the end of the stroke.  If the sights are high, you need a heavier recoil spring.  If low, lighter.  You fine tune by varying recoil and mainspring weights and the radius on the firing pin stop.

Right and I agree. I was just wondering why the posts here that compare 147gr and 124gr (or even 135gr) don't mention recoil springs? That's all.