Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do we have a Para guru in the forum ?

Aasp76

Hello guys, 

I found, in my father in-law shed, a few boxes with 1911 parts, he liked to build his own guns. In one of the boxes I've found an interesting thing, a Para Ordnance aluminum alloy frame made in Canada, it looks like new. I remember to hear some stories about that Para at the beginning produce this frames as a kit to build a "Hi-cap" 1911 but I've never seen one before I found this one, it looks like a P14 frame but is not exactly the same.

The alloy frame, internally, is not like the Para steel frame they produced with their complete guns, for example, you can not use a Para P14 top end since the alloy frame do not accept the Para barrel, it is a ramped frame instead of the traditional Para cut to accommodate a Para barrel, I tend to think that this frame was designed to be used with a Colt top end or a like with unramped barrels, but not sure.

I have some questions:

Those frames came like this this?  so you have to finish it and fitting the type of 1911 barrel you would like to use (wilson/nowling, clark/para, etc) ?

Since this is an alloy frame, if I remove material of the frame to fitting a ramped barrel type (I have the tools), would this compromise the structure of the frame ?, I mean, perhaps they were designed to use non-ramped barrels.

I would really love to use this frame for a next project, but, can't find any technical information about it, so any advice, information or experience with this particular kind of frame will be more than welcome! 

Adrian S. 😎

That's what it is, a Para unramped frame kit.  Frame kits were common in the early 90s (STI started that way too).  You can either mill a ramp into it (either W/N or C/P, whichever you like) or set up a traditional barrel top end.  If the grip safety radius isn't .250", it's an early frame.