Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M2 Shell Released/Pinned into Lifter w/ pic

jrbet83

The picture is a recreation, but essentially the lifter is raising enough during recoil (occasionally) that the released shell is jammed/pinned into the lifter, locking the bolt back. The mag spring is fresher and full length (I don’t trim to make it easier to load) and the trigger group is stock outside the Taran lifter. What’s causing this and what’s the solution?

IMG_7238.jpeg

Edited by jrbet83

Well, several things could be happening, but first the nose of the lifter doesn't seem to be bent down enough. The nose of the lifter should sit flat against the bolt carrier when pushed up, about 8-10°. Next lifter spring might be weak, I like to use the one out of a Super Black Eagle, but any of them work.

The carrier release button looks like it is touching the receiver at the back when operating and it will case this type of malfunction. That is the worst type of "button" in my opinion, but it can't touch during operation at all. And finally the shell latch may have been "tuned" a bit to far allowing shells to start releasing a bit too soon. My bet is the nose not being bent down properly, and the tab touching, but it could be any of these things or a combo!