Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best PM-9 Modification So Far

GunBugBit

When I purchased my pair of PM-9s for Single Stack competition, I made a few changes.

One was the Dawson competition trigger with the polymer shoe and pretravel adjustment tabs.

I also tuned the grip safety leg of the leaf spring so it wasn’t too light but light enough to never cause issues with grip safety disengagement.  I slightly lightened the disconnect leg of the leaf spring, adjusted the overtravel screw, and of course took advantage of the pretravel adjustment tabs.

I took my time with all of the above so the two guns are identical in function and feel.  The triggers are at 2.25# and absolutely creep-free, thanks to DW doing a fantastic job mating the hammer-sear interface, which I did not touch.  I also did nothing to the sear leg of the leaf spring because I want to be well clear of hammer follow issues, which I’ve never had.

Other add-ons were the TechWell magwell with companion grip panels to hold it in place, a Wilson extended mag catch button with extra strength spring from Wolff, EGW ambi thumb safety (LOVE those).  O-rings for the grip panel screws of course.

Both guns have been working great for the past few years but there is one more thing that I recently completed on both guns, and that was to change out the front sight.  The factory fiber optic presents a rather fat front dot and I realized it wasn’t facilitating the best precision.

After the front sight swap, I immediately noticed much better accuracy, clearly reflected in my scores.

The front sights I installed are:

Dawson Precision Springfield 1911 Fiber Optic Front Sight

.150” Tall x .100” Wide, Patridge Serrated.

Edited by GunBugBit

Keith of Dan Wesson stated on another forum that the PM-9 front sights are .180” tall.  I measured mine and found that they both stood .150” above the slide, so that’s why I ordered that height.

Changing front sights is not difficult but it does require patience.  Years ago I watched a Dawson video on how to fit front sights, and have followed it to a tee several times on various guns.  The fitting process takes time but once successfully completed, the reward is a gun that it is definitely easier to shoot accurately.