Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ISMI flat recoil spring for full size 45?

czgunner

I am currently using an uncaptured set up from Carver and it's very nice, but I would like to set up a captured recoil spring assembly.

I have not been able to locate ISMI flat wound springs for the full size M&P 45 (4.5" barrel?)

I know that there are some people who have used glock springs, but I really don't know for sure what to look for.

Does anybody have some suggestions?

Thanks!

Don't have your particular pistol but had a similar experience w my 4" m&p 2.0 compact. Wanted to try out different weights of recoil springs, not much of a selection available for the compact, but lots available for another 4" pistol, G19. Guide rods for both are close in length and the springs for G19 fit perfectly on the compact guide rod.

The G21 has a 4.6" barrel so guide rod should be very close in length to yours. Cheap experiment to see if G21 springs fit your OEM guide rod.

13 hours ago, mpom said:

Don't have your particular pistol but had a similar experience w my 4" m&p 2.0 compact. Wanted to try out different weights of recoil springs, not much of a selection available for the compact, but lots available for another 4" pistol, G19. Guide rods for both are close in length and the springs for G19 fit perfectly on the compact guide rod.

The G21 has a 4.6" barrel so guide rod should be very close in length to yours. Cheap experiment to see if G21 springs fit your OEM guide rod.

Do you happen to know where I can find the length of Glock recoil spring assemblies?

Probably on a glock forum,  but I would not recommend trying to install the complete G21 recoil spring assembly in your M&P. If you know the spring weight you are currently using buy the G21 equivalent and install on the M&P guide rod. OEM spring is held in place by a machine screw. As long as internal spring diameter is greater than M&P guide rod diameter, it's an easy swap. You can measure the M&P guide rod diameter and ask spring manufacturer for inside spring diameter. 

2 minutes ago, mpom said:

Probably on a glock forum,  but I would not recommend trying to install the complete G21 recoil spring assembly in your M&P. If you know the spring weight you are currently using buy the G21 equivalent and install on the M&P guide rod. OEM spring is held in place by a machine screw. As long as internal spring diameter is greater than M&P guide rod diameter, it's an easy swap. You can measure the M&P guide rod diameter and ask spring manufacturer for inside spring diameter. 

Not trying to install the assembly. I'm trying to get a measurement to see if a Glock spring will fit on an OEM M&P rod.