Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

legal magazine releases with current rules (CZ SP01)

IHAVEGAS

At some point in the past it was determined that any magazine release I really liked would get me killed in a real gun fight. Under current rules I can't find a reason why the magazine release shown below, or a CZ extended magazine released filed down a little bit so it doesn't gouge me near the base of the thumb would be illegal. Both the extended release and the release with tab shown are factory parts that come standard on the sp01 shadow (extended) or the sp01 Shadow orange (tab). 

So. Am I missing a regulation somewhere? I think that the ground down extended as well as the tab should be esp and ssp legal. For ssp the rules say you can't make a visible change, but they also say you can change sights and grips and substitute oem parts that are supplied on a different gun under specific circumstances so I'm not sure about that , particularly if I grind down an extended release.

IMG_0135.jpg.4c1e9b6a23594af81a359c475d178373.jpg

In ESP I think you are good.

For SSP I'm not so sure.

Consider the following:

A.1.3.4 Magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, hammers, and triggers, that are stock on
one SSP legal firearm may be used on another SSP legal firearm from the same manufacturer provided
they are drop in replacements. Parts in this list must come factory installed on standard production
firearms.

A.1.1.7 No external modifications of the shape, size, or function of stock parts is allowed.

A.1.3.1 No visible external modifications are allowed. The firearm must have the same appearance as the
factory SKU shown on the company’s website.

So although A.1.3.4 would seem to allow that mag release it seems that modifying it would be a no?

The only way to be sure is to submit the question to your AC.