Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lyman Sizing Die in 38SC Dies

IVC

IMG_1216.thumb.jpeg.35a200f00edf8652622dfcb74a411aab.jpeg

This is the Lyman sizing die in 38SC. And it died. No problem here, they literally say "die" in the description. And die it did. The die died. 

Anyone seen the sizing ring pop out like this? It's Starline brass, lubed with One Shot, pretty smooth handle operation, I didn't ape anything, I swear. It was on a 1050. And, is that glue that holds it in place??

Yup, it has been seen before.

People have tried fixes with varying degrees of success (red loctite, silver solder, epoxy, machining the parts etc.). I would ask Lyman to replace the die free of charge.

Edited by 4n2t0

Good to know that I'm not special. This is an older die I had for years, so I don't think it's worth trying to go through Lyman, but I did the "red Loctite fix" and will keep it as a backup.

Turns out I had at least two Lee dies lying around (regular and U-die), so I set up the press with the regular Lee sizing/decapping die. One thing I don't like about the Lee dies is the collet-style decapping pin - I believe the idea is that it's supposed to "slip" if the pin misses the primer pocket, but it never works like that for me. Unless I tighten it really hard, it will work itself loose. And when it's tight, it will bend if it misses the primer pocket. At least I have bunches of spare pins.