Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does Anyone Know Anything About Acts Matches?

wsimpso1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I designed the sport, wrote the rule book, and host the monthly matches.

What would you like to know?

I've read a little about it on ar15.com in the michigan page. Looks like it could be fun, especially if you really just want to shoot a rifle.

Actually, we do rifle and pistol. The pistol is secondary and is usually only drawn when the shooter's rifle runs dry or takes a dump.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Attended the February ACTS match. Fun bunch of people. I fired the match and had a good time. As a game, it has much in common with IDPA, from the targets to the emphasis on use of cover to the scoring method (You lose a full second per point!).

There was one long field stage starting near the 100 yard firing line with targets engaged from cover and the shooter having to cover the entire length of the range and then do a house clearing. Long stages are time consuming to run, but it was fun. The other stages were closer and better described as exercises. One stage was shot three times, once from each side of cover, and once with the rifle on half of the targets, and then transition to the handgun for the other half. Fun match.

Since these guys have only been running since last summer, they are experiencing growing pains. Some efficiencies can be had and things will get even better.

I am going back.

Billski

Well, I designed the sport, wrote the rule book, and host the monthly matches.

What would you like to know?

Is ACTs an organization where members vote on the leadership like USPSA; an organization with a board of directors which are the only persons eligible to vote in the board elections like IDPA; or an organization where the full and sole authority rests exclusively with the founder like TSA?

Edited by Rob Boudrie

At the moment, full authority rests with me. I am the benevolent dictator.

As we grow, I am reluinquishing some control. My goal is to have many clubs in several states runing these matches using this format.

I have already given up some control in establishing a rules committee. As the organization grows, I will give up more control until we reach a point were ACTS can become autonomous, and I will step back completly.

But, ACTS is in it's infancy, so I am keeping the reins for a bit longer until it becomes larger and stronger.

So far ACTS is a pretty small, pretty much a one range, one club group. There were 19 shooters at the February match. As such, its management and decision making is pretty close. The rules committee is three people, and they talk about things and make decisions. I expect that I will join and ask for a voice in things too. Until it gets out of its infancy, this is what I would expect. If it really does grow, expanding into other clubs, I expect that it will continue to be based on practical use of rifles, but I would also expect that it would reflect its membership's perspectives too.

Billski