Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IC’s training

IC24

I decided recently to explore competitive shooting for enjoyment and to improve my overal shooting capabilities. I have not had any rage time in months and very little in the last several years, so I decided I just needed to start some place. I had about an  hour while on a trip and there was a great range next to the hotel ( police Hall of Fame and Training Centre in Titusville, FL) so this was the chance to get started.

I wanted to put together a simple set of drills I could run on a timer to get a base line, and then repeat periodically to gauge any improvement.  I wanted to have target transitions in the drill but that is often tricky at indoor range. I settled on 

UP drill 1 round repeat a total of five times

Double tap x 5

2 to chest, 1 to head. x5

bill drill x 5

total 60 rounds 

I will post my run later.

Just getting started was the goal,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Been busy getting up and running on this,  first snag was my training venue.  I thought I could work out of a holster after completing a course at my indoor range but I was mistaken.  Still no holster work and only one round per second.  So I joined a club.  That was over a month long process.  Had to attend a couple meetings, and have a few range check offs over a period of time.  Good facility and well run.  The process is reasonable and effective, just takes time.

got that done and have spent the last several weeks getting my adult daughter up to speed on the basics.  We are now at point where we can run simple drills together.

I need to make or buy 3 more target stands.  We only have one right now.  Working on first round hits, double taps, and Failure to stop drills until I add more targets.

I’m not as far along in my training as I would like, but I have made it to the range most weeks, and have added some dry practice in this week.  It took time but I think I have most of my pieces in place to train now.

I will get to the range this weekend and work on double taps, and transitions.  Last week my splits were averaging.20 and transitions.40.  I stared to bring those together with splits around .25 and transitions below .30

• 1 month later...

Very limited training time the last several weeks.  Tendinitis in shooting arm interfering with dry practice and knee injury reduction range training and fitness workout.   Mostly been coaching daughter through basics.  

Made it to rage yesterday.  Did mostly coaching. Introduced weapon light.  Introduced 8 inch target at 15 yards.  Did transitions from 6 “ targets at 7 to 8” at 15 yds.  .22 and 9mm.

2 targets at 7 2 at 15 with .22 avg time sub 3.40

4 targets at 7 2 at 15 avg time  with .22 sub 4.80

9mm MP performance center 5”

2@7 2@15 avg 4.20

4@7 2@15 avg 4.80

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2023 at 6:41 AM, IC24 said:

Very limited training time the last several weeks.  Tendinitis in shooting arm interfering with dry practice and knee injury reduction range training and fitness workout.   Mostly been coaching daughter through basics.  

If you haven't seen this, it's been a game changer for me.

https://spinalflowyoga.com/shooters-elbow/

• 1 month later...

Been traveling without access to range or gear, but bought a laser training system before I left.  Worked through playing around with it stage and have settled into some drills.