Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to M&P Platform, confused about 4.6"

mreed911

So I'm new to the M&P platform thanks to the incredible 5.7.  Now that's translated into the M&P 2.0 SPEC OR 4.6" threaded pistol coming in next week to the FFL.  :)

Help me understand barrel, guide rod and spring compatibility and how to think about spring weight for the M&P.  I'm used to Glocks and 1911's, replacing springs, testing different weights against loads, etc.

I intend to shoot 130-135 PF loads (factory, as I don't reload).  I typically prefer 11 lb springs on my Glocks for USPSA (45, 17).  I've also gone through the "gen" and 17/19/45/47 barrel compatibility lifecycle changes.

What should I know about the M&P 2.0 line?  Are 1.0 parts generally compatible?  Are things made for the 5" guns likely to work/not work on the 4.6" models, etc.?

Recommended places to start?  I realize I'll have to replace the guide rod to play with spring weights.  Preferences there?

I have the same model along with the 5" and compacts.  The 4.6" is the same as the regular full-size 4.25" guns, with the only difference being the threaded barrel.  I believe the barrels are interchangeable between 1.0 and 2.0.  The triggers are a little different.  You could put a 5" slide gun on your model and it would work.  I don't know about spring testing as I've never messed with them.  I highly recommend the timney trigger.  If you don't want it that light, don't use the provided sear.  I hope this helps a little.

I have the Pro 5"  I experimented with springs and mine liked the 13lb spring better than the 11lb.  But...I loaded on the lower end of the PF scale with my loads.  I don't recall exactly what the PF was though.  Too lazy to go look it up.

• 7 months later...