Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brazos Race Gun... Full Size Or Shorty?

PistolPete

I'm thinking of buying a Brazos race gun but am unsure if I should buy the full size or the shorty version. I will be using this for USPSA and steel matches. What are the benefits of using the shorty over the full size and vice versa? I would think the shorty would be a little quicker between targets but I could be totally wrong. What are your thoughts on this?

Pete

Theoretically, you should be faster on your transitions with the shorty and possibly, faster cycling of the slide, which might matter if your last name is Michel or O (TGO) :-)

I just got my shorty from Bob a couple of weeks ago. With his poppleholes and comp, his shorty is flat and soft. I chose his gun because I shot a bud's shorty and the dot didn't move. I couldn't believe it at first but the gun just pushed straight back a little. You'll be amazed.

The only reason I can think of (besides being a little less expensive) to get his full size open gun would be a little more versatility/options in powder choices. You'll need less powder to make major so some of the bulkier powder choices may be available that are not to the shorty. I'm sure that the laws of physics dictate that all other things being equal, the 5" will be flatter/have less recoil, I couldn't really ask for a flatter gun.

Edited by al503

Theoretically, you should be faster on your transitions with the shorty and possibly, faster cycling of the slide, which might matter if your last name is Michel or O (TGO) :-)

I just got my shorty from Bob a couple of weeks ago. With his poppleholes and comp, his shorty is flat and soft. I chose his gun because I shot a bud's shorty and the dot didn't move. I couldn't believe it at first but the gun just pushed straight back a little. You'll be amazed.

The only reason I can think of (besides being a little less expensive) to get his full size open gun would be a little more versatility/options in powder choices. You'll need less powder to make major so some of the bulkier powder choices may be available that are not to the shorty. I'm sure that the laws of physics dictate that all other things being equal, the 5" will be flatter/have less recoil, I couldn't really ask for a flatter gun.

Can I ask what load you're using? I just got a previous gen Pro SX and have a new one on order. Would love if you could help get me through the learning curve.

Thanks

in near freezing temps (35-40) I chrono'd some rounds. 8.55 grains IMR 4756 in a supercomp case, wsr primers, 125 gr zero jhp, at 1.235 oal got me an average of 166 pf. Gun had a little flip. At 8.7 grains, about 168 and a little less flip. 8.8 = 170 pf and the gun was flat.

One thing to keep in mind, IMR powders are reverse temp sensitive. The colder it gets, the greater the pf. In warmer weather, you'll have to use more powder. Also, supercomp is usually about .2 to .3 grains less to make the same pf as super.

This is in the SC version (couldn't wait for the sx and the bud's shorty was an SC also) with 4 poppleholes and bob's comp.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Al