Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX 24 rd Chrome Mag

jasmap

Here are other differences that weren't listed before...

====================

We increased the bullet angle to keep the nose of the bullet pointed more directly to the chamber this helped to increase feeding and add clearance under the ejector. Unlike the factory magazine that have material removed to avoid ejector contact or damage the new MBX design allowed for the rear feed lip to be retained adding strength to that very important part of the magazine.

We also engineered other important changes:

1. The magazine side indents have two stage angles this assures for the upcoming bullets to raise quickly as the bullets reduced to a single column and present the round in the feed lips fast and always nose up preventing any FTF due to bullet nose dip.

2. Rounds are also released sooner from the new MBX. This allows the round more time to go up the breach face under the extractor all while reducing the bullet climb angle and allowing for a very smooth slide closing aiding in the ability to run reduced power loads and lighter recoil springs but still keeping reliable in feeding and slide closing.

3. The follower is designed to sit low. Remember the last round only has to be presented in order to feed correctly. The competition follower is designed to sit low in the magazine after the last round has been chambered. Stopping the follower low is deliberate because upon the last shot the slide will cycle shut. The conventional follower engages the slide stop so we need to prevent any damage after the last round is fired to the competition follower as the slide goes across the top of the empty magazine.

====================

3 hours ago, telligentgunner said:

Here are other differences that weren't listed before...

====================

We increased the bullet angle to keep the nose of the bullet pointed more directly to the chamber this helped to increase feeding and add clearance under the ejector. Unlike the factory magazine that have material removed to avoid ejector contact or damage the new MBX design allowed for the rear feed lip to be retained adding strength to that very important part of the magazine.

We also engineered other important changes:

1. The magazine side indents have two stage angles this assures for the upcoming bullets to raise quickly as the bullets reduced to a single column and present the round in the feed lips fast and always nose up preventing any FTF due to bullet nose dip.

2. Rounds are also released sooner from the new MBX. This allows the round more time to go up the breach face under the extractor all while reducing the bullet climb angle and allowing for a very smooth slide closing aiding in the ability to run reduced power loads and lighter recoil springs but still keeping reliable in feeding and slide closing.

3. The follower is designed to sit low. Remember the last round only has to be presented in order to feed correctly. The competition follower is designed to sit low in the magazine after the last round has been chambered. Stopping the follower low is deliberate because upon the last shot the slide will cycle shut. The conventional follower engages the slide stop so we need to prevent any damage after the last round is fired to the competition follower as the slide goes across the top of the empty magazine.

====================

This is all good and well, but the atrociousness of their baseplate is single handedly preventing me from purchasing this.  I'd love it if they just made a tube for their spring and follower that we could use our TF and Henning base pads with.

18 minutes ago, ChrisDeRouen said:

This is all good and well, but the atrociousness of their baseplate is single handedly preventing me from purchasing this.  I'd love it if they just made a tube for their spring and follower that we could use our TF and Henning base pads with.

Looks is more important than function. 👍

6 hours ago, telligentgunner said:

Looks is more important than function. 👍

Well many of us competition shooters would lose the advantage of the additional weight from the larger base pad.... and the feel/grip in our hand to perform a reload at speed.  We currently can just change the follower/spring and load to 23+1 reliably.  The extremely rare amount of times one additional round is needed is not worth hundreds of dollars in new mags.

On 6/28/2023 at 1:32 AM, ChrisDeRouen said:

Well many of us competition shooters would lose the advantage of the additional weight from the larger base pad.... and the feel/grip in our hand to perform a reload at speed.  We currently can just change the follower/spring and load to 23+1 reliably.  The extremely rare amount of times one additional round is needed is not worth hundreds of dollars in new mags.

Rune tactical and MBX have followers that give you 24 rounds in the mag

1 hour ago, ChrisDeRouen said:

I have mbx followers....and although you can smash 24 rounds in the mag...it's not reliable.  Is it reloadable?  Yes....sometimes.  lol

I have 2 each rune and MBX and both are reliable for me. Reloadable? f*#k no not with 24 lol

MBX is having a 4th of July sale so I just ordered 4 of their 140mm chrome magazines since the factory ones with TTI basepads are not playing nice with my new Rival-S. 

10% off: july10

15% off orders over $249: july15

20% off orders over $399: july20

If anyone wants factory magazines, I'm selling some here:

Edited by telligentgunner

Had a follower tilt and drop a round behind. About done with trying to sort out the caniks. This occurred with the polymer which has been much more reliable than the S. However it is now over inserting MBX mags as well. Polymer had around 7k rounds on it. S is around 3, haven’t been using it at matches due to issues.

IMG_6661.jpeg

On 7/1/2023 at 12:00 PM, Slow250 said:

Had a follower tilt and drop a round behind. About done with trying to sort out the caniks. This occurred with the polymer which has been much more reliable than the S. However it is now over inserting MBX mags as well. Polymer had around 7k rounds on it. S is around 3, haven’t been using it at matches due to issues.

FYI... After 2 months, I just got my Rival-S back from warranty service to fix over-insertion and extraction issues.  I immediately tested it to see if the over-insertion was fixed and there was no improvement.  I irritatingly got on the phone to customer service and they said they would send me a new extended magazine catch and if that didn't work they would replace the firearm. 

Edited by telligentgunner

20 hours ago, telligentgunner said:

FYI... After 2 months, I just got my Rival-S back from warranty service to fix over-insertion and extraction issues.  I immediately tested it to see if the over-insertion was fixed and there was no improvement.  I irritatingly got on the phone to customer service and they said they would send me a new extended magazine catch and if that didn't work they would replace the firearm. 

Interesting. I’m not having any oven insertion issues with mine but I may hit them up for the new mag release just to be safe.