Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for used Glock 17

Carlos

OK- Looking for a cheap Model 17 for production. I don't want the model 34; I already have most of the G-34 parts for a 17 including:

1)3.5 lb Glock factory trigger assembly - it even has the overtravel stop!

2) reduced power striker spring

3)Oversize Glock slide release

4)G34 mag release

5) Meggar adjustable rear sight

6) Found a source of 10 shot mags for about $17 ea. - brand new!

Now I need the gun. I prefer a police trade in that was rarely shot - just carried around in a holster or sat in some officer's desk - not looking for a police academy training gun that has seen close to a million rounds  (asking too much?) What do you think of this outfit?

http://www.kyimports.com/glock.htm#Glock

Any other leads would be appreciated.  Regards,

Douglas

Erik - clearly the way to go! Thanks - I owe you about $80!

As for KY imports, I agree that its better to help gun businesses improve rather than trying to run them out of business.  It is with the hope that KY Imports improves that I add the following constructive criticism:

I called yesterday afternoon and spoke with a fairly knowledgeable, apparently gun-saavy woman who revealed that she was in the "retail" part of the operation instead of what she called the "warehouse" where guns are kept. I asked her about the used G17s on their website and if they had any 17s left. She claimed there was only one left out of the lot. I expressed interest in buying it on the spot with my credit card, let her know my dealer's FFL was on file with KY, but I had a question or two first. I asked if it was a police officer's duty gun which was traded in  (in the hopes that it was rarely shot) or whether it came from a police training academy (assuming that it had seen a zillion rounds).  She claimed that KY Imports has no idea if it was even a police trade in and has no idea where the guns they buy come from or what they were used for. No idea where they come from?!? I found that a bit hard to understand or believe so I asked if these G17s were the ones bought from the Baltimore Police Dept since I know they recently upgraded to G22s. She again claimed KY Imports had no idea where or who they buy their guns from. I asked if it was 1st or second generation. She claimed that could not be determined.  I asked if it was police dept. marked. She responded that it was impossible to find that information out becuse she is in the retail section and the guns are stored in the warehouse. I guess you can't get to the warehouse from the store - not even for the $400 retail sale I was fully prepared to make.

I reasoned that she wanted me to take a $400 gamble on a mystery glock which she refused to tell me anything about other than "its a used 17 and we have no idea where it came from or what generation it is". Not exactly the sort of customer service I'd expect on a $400 sale - yeah, yeah, I know there is not much mark up on used guns - likely less than 100% markup - so we are talking less than $200 net profit. Still, how much are they paying her that she can't lift more than a finger to make a sale? What is her job, if not customer service?

She then tried to sell me on the refurbished G17 for the same price as TopGlock.com's retail price of a brand new 17 with 2 mags (instead of 1). I wanted to know if the refurbished G17s had a new barrel installed? She said Glock fixes whatever needs to be replaced - "they look like new guns!" Gee - it will probably function; but will it shoot? What about a plate or popper at 40 yards? Who knows? So the answer was again, she did not know, was not willing to find out, and I should just take a $489 gamble. Instead, I think I will take Erik's advice.

Now, I might buy something new from them in the future, but I was not overly impressed with their used gun sales service. Thanks again Eric! D.

My $.02...

1.  KY imports probably bought the guns from Glock and may legitimately not be able to trace the origin.  They probably have their suspicions, but can't represent the gun as such since they have no documentation as proof.

2.  Refurbished Glocks, especially police trade ins, frequently come with 2 pre-ban hi caps, making them more valuable than an equivalent new gun.  My friend recently bought a refurb G17.  It was in top notch condition.  And KY is correct.  If it wasn't in perfect condition, Glock will make it so.  (Glock even fixes guns that people blow up with reloads at no charge, so it's tough to argue with that type of customer service.)  Buying a genuine Glock refurb is a very low-risk proposition.

E

I'll put one caveat in.  There are scumbag dealers out there that are selling "factory refurbished" Glocks, which are obviously junker trade-in's that have been refinished with BBQ paint.  I witnessed this little gambit at a recent gun show.  Do take care with whom you do business.

(This is in no way meant to infer that KY Imports engages in such sculduggery.)  

E

Gun shows anymore seem to be just the monthly meeting of the Liar's Club.  It's a shame, because genuinely sweet deals like Glock refurbs are getting a bad rap.  Fortunately, I can tell the difference between parkerizing and Krylon.  Obviously some can't, or it wouldn't be going on.

For a new Production division blaster, the GSSF model is the s*** for $400!  Kudos to Erik for the alert on that one...

E

• 1 month later...

WooooHooooo! Letter/Invoice from Glock arrived this afternoon: My GSSF Glock Model 17 9mm is shipping out via UPS and will arrive at my FFL soon! (All for $396!!) The invoice lists the serial number in the high range  - around "GSSF 9XX" - thus, if Glock is sending these out sequentialy, then it looks like I got one of the last ones they had (supposedly a limited run of 1000 were made). I have never been one to "collect" guns without shooting them so Production class, here we come!

Thanks to those here who saved me from the perils of the used gun market.