Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slings/Rifle retention gizmos

mmchambers06

I've done a couple of 5k and 10k run and guns...and as you can imagine, I've made a lot of gear edits. My only remaining issue is that my rifle (slung over my back via a two-point Magpul MS1 sling) likes to swing around when I'm moving quickly, especially while trail running, or climbing obstacles. I'm looking for a better way to cinch it down so I don't have to adjust or hold it so much.

I have seen one of these Titan retention straps in the wild, but I'm not currently running a full molle chest rig and it seems like there might be a simpler solution that I haven't thought of... any ideas?

I have used a VTAC padded 2 point sling since 2008 in the military. You can quickly tighten and loosen with one hand and it works with the rifle slung across your back. Not super cheap at $60, but it's been worth it to me. Definitely get the padded version, especially if you are running with a rifle.

https://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-mk2.htm

Might have to give both suggestions a shot. The only hangup I have with the biathlon sling is the 2-gun stages where having the gun on the back would slow the transition down significantly. Could run a basic single point sling in conjunction with it, possibly.

The Magpul slider seems to stay pretty tight, but loosens a little bit with jostling and might be part of the problem. I've also cut ~24oz out of the rifle since the last match which I expect might help as well. Does the VTAC stay tight? 

After discussing it on here I picked up a TAB Gear biathlon sling to give a try. It arrived today- seems well made and good cushioning on the shoulder straps.  With a two point sling I had my qd cups on opposite sides of the rifle, but that doesn’t work with the biathlon style sling so I added another cup.  

Just running around the house the biathlon seems to have less rifle movement compared to a cinched down Magpul or Vickers (I have both).  Overall I think it will prove to be another good tool in the box; I’m thinking it will be handy on the longer natural terrain stages, but the traditional 2-point slings a better choice on bay stages for the extra quickness of employment.