Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bul Radical - help with pros and cons

jimbullet

Anyone having experience with the Bul radical? I've seen a few YouTube marketing videos and the pistol looks promising but I want to hear from those who have been using it for some time and get some thoughts on it. Is the front too heavy? Did you need to reduce recoil spring as a result compared to the usual 2011 bull barrel platforms? Did you get hammer bites? Is the plastic grip... well too plastic and slippery? 

Any thoughts would be appreciated before I try to get one to replace my trusted STI DVC.

I have a Radical 5.7 which I believe has been discontinued. I’ve had a great experience with mine, perfect function with all ammo I’ve tried. Mine has ambi shielded safeties and gen 1 grip which I would compare with Staccato gen 2 grip texture.

I didn’t notice the gun being nose heavy and it seems to return nicely, at least with my grip pressure. Fit and finish are great and the trigger is comparable to my staccato xc

Edited by asierra350

3 hours ago, Pmatte1 said:

5.7 and 5.4 both never have given me an issue with front end dipping. I did lower the recoil spring from stock 9 to 8s in both. Both I think are better shooters than staccato.  

Any idea why the 5.7 was discontinued? Didn’t sell I guess?

17 hours ago, asierra350 said:

Any idea why the 5.7 was discontinued? Didn’t sell I guess?

No idea never looked into why.  But it’s a great shooting gun.   Same springs and ammo side by side with the 5.4 I think it’s a little flatter shooting. I like it

1 hour ago, Pmatte1 said:

No idea never looked into why.  But it’s a great shooting gun.   Same springs and ammo side by side with the 5.4 I think it’s a little flatter shooting. I like it

Did you have the original plastic grips or did you have steel grips added? I was told that it felt front heavy with the plastic grips but not too certain whether that was an issue. I have my DVC with the plastic grip and didn't feel any front heaviness so wasn't sure if that was the case with the radical?

Mine has the original plastic grips but a brass magwell, it feels nicely balanced with my grip pressure, I wanted to get the metal grip but was told Bul stopped selling those separately, there is an even heavier brass magwell available I believe 

4 hours ago, jimbullet said:

Did you have the original plastic grips or did you have steel grips added? I was told that it felt front heavy with the plastic grips but not too certain whether that was an issue. I have my DVC with the plastic grip and didn't feel any front heaviness so wasn't sure if that was the case with the radical?

Plastic grip on both 5.4 had a brass magwell. 5.7 had aluminum. 

I have the 5.4 Radical in .40. My limited gun when I can pull myself away from the PCC. I don't notice any front-end dip. I do run a 12lb recoil spring with a buffer. It's a good flat shooting combo for me. I had asked about the metal grip and was advised that the plastic version is the better option. The metal version was a clamshell design, some shooters didn't like it.  For a holster, I run the Black Scorpion older version of the Pro Speed with magnets.