Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding weight to a polymer Tanfo

matteekay

(Disclaimer: Is this a dumb idea? Probably. But those are sorta my raison d'être)

I have a SAO, triangular dust-cover P-Match in .40. Shockingly, I really like shooting it; I just wish the frame weighed more than a handful of biscotti. I've already added a heavy guide rod; other than that, has anyone figured out a creative solution for adding weight to the frame? 

26 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I'm not familiar with that model, I assume no rail for a light? Lights are a easy way to add 2-10 oz. 

Brass Base Pads? They really don't get you much though. 

Yeah, it's the non-railed one (unfortunately in this case, but fortunately because the DA/SA trigger isn't great). A light would have been ideal.

2 hours ago, Redhemi said:

I'm just throwing this out there but maybe buy a screw on rail so you can mount a light or something.

It's not a bad idea. No worse than the rest of this whole endeavor, lol.

Out of curiosity, I removed the grip/magwell module to see if what might be utilized underneath. The metal magwell from my DLM actually slides on about 80% of the way, but you'd have to mill the inside at the rear to get it fully seated (since the metal frame guns are recessed at the heel). The bigger problem is grips from the metal guns can't be retrofit to the plastic frame (easily) as the rear of the plastic is flat rather than relieved like it is on the metal frame. 

There's a hollow behind the mag opening that could potentially be filled with something like tungsten putty. I'm thinking of doing that and running brass basepads and a heavy guide rod to give the gun just a hair more weight. 

Here's what these guns look like with the grip/magwell module removed (answer: "goofy."):

52753872723_5ed28ecbc9_b.jpg

There's a hollow section that runs the full length of the grip. As a simple first step, I'm going to see how much tungsten putty fits in there. It's not the ideal place to add weight, but I bet I can add 2-3 ounces without permanently modifying the gun in any way.

52753790335_b6764c4d22_b.jpg