Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any tricks for removing

Bill Schwab

I'm getting ready to take replace my G17's mag release button with a G34 button (the IDPA RO will never notice wink2.gif ).  I've talked with a friend who's changed out Glock mag release buttons and apparently they can be a bear.  Does anyone have any tips or tricks for this dumb 1911 guy??

Bill

Bill,

While it can be done with the trigger group in the gun, I find it vastly easier to do after the frame has been stripped.  THen a Glock Armorers tool or a pair of small needlenosed pliers can be used to to slide the spring (that would be the little metal rod) out of the notch.  When installing the new stop, you may need to move the spring out of the way slightly ---- and I think I preferred the pliers for that.  The job can be done with the fire control system in place ---- but I found that it takes enough longer, that it's faster to remove it.  Also an opportunity to clean the frame ---- and I only clean Glocks when I need to change some parts or do other smithing.  Good Luck.

I pretty much do the same as what the glockmeister site instructs.  In fact, I find it even easier to do than removing/putting back my 1911's thumb safety. :)

And, BTW, be careful about those table top draws. I've had my share of dropped mags from my g19 while using the extended catch.

Quote: from IPSC G34 on 8:00 pm on Nov. 8, 2002

Be careful handing that mag catch spring, late last year I  discovered that I had broke mine from normal use. Sent it to Glock, got a new frame in the very short time of 3 months............

IPSC G34, your post got me thinking since I've been fiddling with my catch too often.  Are you saying I'll need a frame replacement too if I break the catch spring?  Or is this part you can just pull out (haven't tried it though) and replace with a new one?  I'm a bit concerned since my location prevents me from ever having my glock serviced by Glock. Thanks.

MCOliver,

You can pull the mag catch spring out with needlenosed pliers and replace it with a new one.  I suspect Michael broke his off flush with the frame..... therefore frame replacement was necessary, cause there was nothing to grab to pull out the fragment.  

Thanks Nick.  All this talk (esp. on the other forum about broken breech faces) has made me add one more item in my to-do list: "Shop around and see what parts are available for glock"....hmmm, something I haven't done (for a long time) since replacing my stock sights.

Nik,

Nope didn't break off flush, there was a small break about halfway down on the spring. Worked on it for about 20 or 30 minutes with needlenose pliers, talked to Phil Strader who is a Glock  Armorer, and he said that the part should not come out of the frame. Then the spring broke off down in the channel and we couldn't get on it and get it out without breaking the frame. So off to Glock it went. This happened about after a year of normal use(by IPSC standards anyway)........ Hmmmmm, maybe I'm shooting too much.........

The G17 schematic on Page 8 of the 1997 Glock Inc. Armorer's Manual (Stock # 3276-1) identifies part # 18 as the Magazine Catch Spring.  From Page 30 of the same manual: Magazine Catch Spring Removal: Using a pair of needle nose pliers, pull the magazine catch spring straight up and remove it.

Michael,

I wasn't trying to bust your chops.  I believe you, Murphy has a way of doing strange things with guns.  I bought a stripped frame once and built it up, and I was pretty sure I had to insert a mag release spring into the frame.  I wasn't sure though, that's why I looked it up.  If you think it's weakening, it might be time to order a replacement part and replace the sucker.  Or, if you're leery of that, time to plan for shooting a different blaster while this one travels back to Glock for frame replacement....  

One final thought: is your mag release a Glock part or an aftermarket release?

Nik,

I'm not sure why you think my first names Mike, but its not. Anyway, stock Glock extended mag catch, however they shipped me a frame with a short one back, so I had swap it out, and that was none too easy....... I think I might have an extra spring laying around somwhere that was bought when the first one broke.

(Edited by IPSC G34 at 4:30 pm on Nov. 13, 2002)

Oooops, I've been known to confuse people before.... If you decide to attempt this, the only bit of advice I can add is to put counter pressure on the mag catch when you try to slip the spring out of the groove.  By counter pressure I mean put a finger on where the back end of the mag button would come out of the right side of the frame.  Good luck....

• 1 year later...

I had my G35 eat a hole in my hand at a match today. Dug this post up with a search. :)

Of all the suggestions, the dental pick is the winner. I could pry the spring to the notch with a screw driver but couldn't get it back out of the slot, once it was over. The dental pick slipped right behind the spring and the spring popped right out.

I sanded a bit then polished the button up with a dremel. I can't believe anybody shoots with that release for very long without PAIN. :blink: