Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G2 vs Magnetospeed

I am considering purchasing a chorongraph and can not afford a labradar. I am considering either a G2 or Magnetospeed. I was wondering what are pros or cons of either? I plan on working loads for both pistol and rifle. Any advice or insight would be helpful. Thanks 

I have used for years a Pro Chrono Digital, a Magneto Speed Sporter, and a V3. All have their pros and cons. I have the adapter for the V3 for my G34, and both on barrel and off barrel mount for the V3. I use the Pro Chrono for my shorter barrel revolvers the Magneto Speed won’t attach to. The optical chronos can be finicky with lighting conditions and the position of the sun relative to the sensors. But they also work with firearms the Magneto Speed won’t. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer them if I can. 

Edited by CavReconScout

The Magnetospeed can be fitted to revolvers with 4" or longer barrels, most semiauto pistols with a pic rail or similar dust cover mounting point and any rifle or shotgun.  It's  even suitable for full auto firearms.  A major advantage is that it's immune to variations in the amount or type of ambient light.  It will even work in complete darkness if you want.  Most sky screen chronos are badly impacted by varying light conditions and transient shadows and won't work at all under flourescent or LED lighting.

The MS's downside is it won't attach to very short barrel revolvers or autos with no dust cover attachment point and the weight on the muzzle makes it unsuited for simultaneously zeroing the firearm while measuring velocity.