Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hodgdon Titewad In 40 S&w?

b2alpha

I've used Clays, International Clays, and TiteGroup in 40 S&W, just wondered if anyone has tried Titewad?

I've used Clays, International Clays, and TiteGroup in 40 S&W, just wondered if anyone has tried Titewad?

After spelling Titewad correctly I found some info, disregard this question unless you have some polsitive info.

Ken

When I broke the news to a couple of guys at Hodgdon that I was using Titewad in a 38Super for light loads for my daughter they we less than impressed, when they found out I was also looking to try it in 40 and 45 they we very unimpressed.

I only managed to get light weight bullets to work well, stick to 155 or less.

Very little recoil, do not go near major.

• 1 month later...

This makes sense; according to Hodgdon's burn rate chart, Titewad is very fast, faster than Bullseye and almost as fast as N310. This puts it in the "light target" category for pistols, none of your knocking over steel plates with 200 grainers.....

That's right,

Fast as in Ben Johnson on a new batch or steroids and a lightning bolt sticking out his rear.

The powder is designed specifically for shotgun, 7/8 oz to 1 oz loads only.

We also tried it in 32S&W for ISU. Not bad, but the n310 worked better in the European guns. Accuracy was excellent at very low loads. Pressures signs were getting nasty at even moderate velocities in the 38Super (<1000fps with 125gr JHP)

Though N-310 is being used in USPSA in calibers like 9mm and .40, it has the distinct advantage of being a very very consistent SINGLE BASE powder while Titewad appears to be a double based fast burner for a non-pistol application. I trust GM Iprod's warnings on this powder and would avoid Titewad for safety's sake.

Recently a friend of mine. (really! not me.) intending to purchase some TiteGroup, purchased instead TiteWad. When he told me I said: "Whoa!" hold the horses, don't use that, or you'll have a hand grenade.

Now, my friend likes to experiment, and loves to use the n310 in .40 S&W. He also likes "heavier" bullets. So, he decided to try this Tite Wad.

He won't do it ever again. Something about the primers "magically" de-priming themselves ... :D:o:wacko:

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

• 2 weeks later...
He won't do it ever again. Something about the primers "magically" de-priming themselves ... :D:o:wacko:

Last time I saw that was with guys trying to make old Major w/ 115s in a 6" Schuemann Tribrid (the original Tribrid) :blink::blink::blink: Dropping primers is *not* a good plan.... We figured those 115s at Major in those guns had to be in the 60K psi range.... :wacko::wacko::wacko: