Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A few days ago I bought a pair of 12x50 vortex diamondback binos on OpticsPlanet. They were running a 10% off sale so I figured I’d get them for my mother for her birthday next week. Today I stopped into a tiny little gun shop and they had the same pair for the same price. I commented to the gal behind the counter and she said that Vortex sets the same pricing for big box stores as little mom and pop shops regardless of the volume of sales. I didn’t know this was a thing. Too bad I didn’t know this sooner or else I would have given them my money instead. 

Technically… Vortex can only set the Minimum Advertised Price (MAP). A dealer can sell for whatever they like.

A manufacturer telling a dealer what they can sell something for gets in to muddy waters quickly with the Federal Trade Commission.  

It’s why many websites use an “add to cart for pricing” or “email for pricing” structure. Once it’s in the cart, it’s considered entering a sale negotiation… and the manufacturer can get it legal hot water fast for meddling in that. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2022 at 9:08 PM, TheHooter said:

A few days ago I bought a pair of 12x50 vortex diamondback binos on OpticsPlanet. They were running a 10% off sale so I figured I’d get them for my mother for her birthday next week. Today I stopped into a tiny little gun shop and they had the same pair for the same price. I commented to the gal behind the counter and she said that Vortex sets the same pricing for big box stores as little mom and pop shops regardless of the volume of sales. I didn’t know this was a thing. Too bad I didn’t know this sooner or else I would have given them my money instead. 

Technically… Vortex can only set the Minimum Advertised Price (MAP). A dealer can sell for whatever they like.

A manufacturer telling a dealer what they can sell something for gets in to muddy waters quickly with the Federal Trade Commission.  

It’s why many websites use an “add to cart for pricing” or “email for pricing” structure. Once it’s in the cart, it’s considered entering a sale negotiation… and the manufacturer can get it legal hot water fast for meddling in that. 
12x50 is a really good hunting binocular https://gritroutdoors.com/optics/sport-optics/binoculars/ though, huge fan of Vortex!

Yeah, Vortex just tells which price to sell at pretty much(hence why I'm usually trying to support small local stores, not like price gonna differ by much compared to huge chains). Nevertheless, congrats on gettin a nice pair of bino, I'm running 8x42 Diamondback myself for hunting :D

Edited by Markbrooks