Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic For V-comp

michaels

Has anybody seen a dealer/vendor that offers a front fiber optic for the v-comp series of guns? I tried the SDM, but it's not got a big enough base to fit in the dovetail. So far I've gotten an offer from the very nice folks at Dawson to make one for me, but I was hoping to find one already manufactured.

thanks

mike sousa

Has anybody seen a dealer/vendor that offers a front fiber optic for the v-comp series of guns? I tried the SDM, but it's not got a big enough base to fit in the dovetail. So far I've gotten an offer from the very nice folks at Dawson to make one for me, but I was hoping to find one already manufactured.

thanks

mike sousa

I went through this a while back and could not even get accurate dovetail information from Smith. I finally sent my front sight to Pinnacle and had Mark Hartshorne drill out my sight and insert a fiber optic. I have yet to hear of a front sight that fits my 627 Miculek.

thanks

mike sousa

I went through this a while back and could not even get accurate dovetail information from Smith. I finally sent my front sight to Pinnacle and had Mark Hartshorne drill out my sight and insert a fiber optic. I have yet to hear of a front sight that fits my 627 Miculek.

I did the same thing as underlug (course the one from Mark is probably prettier :D )

Had some fiber rod, drilled a hole thru the face of the front sight (mind the angle)

and then hog out a channel for light gathering.

Another option, you could get a 1911 sight to work, find a bigger dovetail base size

and mill down the sight base on the barrel to the correct height, dovetail like 1911,

trim off the sides and there you go. What height sight might be a problem.

Scott M. of SDM Super Sight fame used to have a dovetail sight for 1911's using his

1'" style glow rod, you could try him also.

And after writing all this.....if you don't have the light pipe material and you can't drill

the hole accurately enough then maybe that Dawson deal is looking pretty good :huh:

Or maybe Mark at Pinnacle since he's done it before and might have all the spec's still

handy.

ps. I heard you can get the light pipe material at hobby shops, least that's what I've heard

and it's a lot cheaper than Brownells (but like Mike C says, do business with Brownells as

much as you can, they support us shooters at every match I go to)

Yes, I do like to order stuff through Brownells. They donated an awful lot of those really nice $200 range bags to various USPSA matches this year....they are real friends to our sport.

On the other hand, I also like to look for opportunities to maximize my shooting dollar, and I found this excellent source for fiber optic rod at dirt cheap prices:

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Flourescent.htm

I ended up (like several other of my revolvers) having a Weigand interchangable front sight base put on my V-comp. My Classic DX came with one back in "92 and I got spoiled. Then depending on the desired mood I can put any color fiber optic, gold bead, or I even ordered an XS sight systems trigicon small dot front insert. www.weigand.com

is the web sight. Chris

Randy, thanks for the offer, very kind of you...

I'll pm you with what I came up with and see if you agree...

thanks, and the 627 that you worked on is doing just fine, hit round count in the 700's today, will try it in L-10 tomorrow...

mikey