Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Using Wst In 9mm

ryan45kim

I tried 4.5 gr. WST under 124gr. Remington FMJ and got about 1,040 fps with 30 fps extreme spread in my CZ 85C. It cycled fine and the empties fell near my feet. I shot only 20 over the chrono but it was a soft load. I did not test for accuracy.

A moderator at CZ Forum uses 4.8 to 5.2 WST under Berry's 124gr. HP and is very happy with that load. Check CZ Forum for more data about this propellant.

Chris

There is no official load data on WST in 9mm from Winchester or any loading manuals I am aware of. I use Winchester SP primers and they looked fine in my 4.5gr WST I described above. That said, I would stay between 4.5 and 4.8gr WST and stay below 1,100 fps with 124gr. bullets.

A few years ago I loaded some 124gr West Coast plated bullets with 5.2gr or greater of WST. Velocities averaged 1,200fps but extreme spreads suddenly jumped to about 120fps. This showed me that WST is best for target and not full-power loads.

Chris :)

I have "heard", boy I hate repeating things just heard, not proven, that the load Dave Sevigny shoots is a cannister grade of WST. Seems like the load is 3.7-3.8 gr of WST with a 147.

WST is slower than Titegroup. It falls between VV320 and 231. I use 3.0 gr of TG with a 147 for my wife's G34. The 3.7 gr of WST would make sense.

On Hodgdon's burn rate chart TG is # 8 with VV320 14 and WST 15. 231 is 19.

I’ve had good luck with light steel loads (4.0-4.5grs) of WST, these run up to 1000fps in my Glock 17 but I wanted to get a good minor load (around 1100fps) for production.

I had problems trying to make major with WST in 40S&W, when I got over major I started separating cases.

The fact that there is no load data for WST in 9mm worried me but I figured I’d ask and see if anyone was using it (plus I have 7lb of it).