Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite tungsten guiderod for G17

Carlos

Production shooters: your recomendations on the Glock 17 guiderod and reduced power recoil spring? I know I need to stay within 2 OZ of factory weight.

I also plan on using the 147 grn bullet and possibly Titegroup or V V N-330 or 340.  All prior loads for 9mm were hot carbine loads using 115s so I am at a loss for the perfect minor load.  BTW, I also buy factory 9mm since its so cheap (Blazer from Natchez - only $4.85 a box!!), but before the season starts I'd like to try a 147 traveling just over minor. Your thoughts?  

Carlos,

You are on the right track it seems.

You can put in a tungsten rod if you like.  You will, reportedly, still be below the 2 oz limit.    I shoot with the stock spring and rod...I don't have any plans to change.

I have put plenty of rounds of Blazer and Winchester val-u-pak ammo downrange.  147's with TG are softer.

The changes I'd make to a stock G17 (for Production) would be...

- Sights

- Trigger work

- Extended, Glock brand, mag release

- Grip tape

Carlos,

My IDPA SSP load is approx 3.05 grs of VV320 behind a WCG 147 RN with a FSPM primer and an OAL of 1.154 (this seems to engage the rifling).  The pf on this load is 127 (chronoed in cold weather) with a very low SD.

My personal preferences for Glock improvements...

Bar-Sto barrel

Trigger Job---you can do a good one yourself, but I'm shooting a CGR Top Fuel and really like it.  It's a very short reset.

Fiber optic front sight---I prefer green seems to pop out better than red or orange

Hogue Handall grip

Extended controls---I shoot a 34, and have shot 17's with the regular controls and loose a lot of time fumbling.

Good advice Flex! Will seek out a tungsten rod & likely a Wolff spring assortment.  Glad to hear about TG - neat powder (tried it in.45 bet was too dirty at low .45 pressure). Will load it under some 147s - plated perhaps.

As to the other mods- I've got you covered!:

- Sights

Italian made low profile adjustable for $25 from CDNN - I missed out on the full profile.  I think they are Meggars. I just put on a cheapo ($20 from Natchez) front fiber optic last night - I had to clamp the crap outta the thing to get it in the slot so if I do not like it, it may get milled to .90 and filled w/ steel epoxy!

- Trigger work

Bought an extra 3.5 to go in an old trigger assembly (the whole shebang) to try out some of Dale's tricks and will try an old reduced power striker - hope those Blazers still go off! Tried stoning connector and end of trigger bar again last night and its still off the cheap RCBS scale - over 4.5 pounds to brake - what mod will bring it down further?

$9 from USPSA classifieds

- Grip tape

Need to stop by Home Depot or the skateboard shop again.  

Any other suggestions

(Edited by Carlos at 10:40 am on Feb. 4, 2003)

The reduced power strike sping (Wolff)...

I have had only one primer fail to go off.  It was S&B ammo.  And, that was one...out of a few cases.  S&B is reported to have pretty hard primers.  No other problems. Test often.

I do clean out the striker channel more often than most Glockers.  I don't want it getting grubby in there and robbing power from my striker.

Quote: from Flexmoney on 12:01 am on Feb. 4, 2003

Carlos,

- Sights

- Trigger work

- Grip tape

I'd agree with Flex, except for the extended mag release.  The factory extended release on my 35 digs into my left hand.  I could play with chopping or filing it.  I ended up just pulling it out and replacing it with a standard mag release.  You might want to try one of these out before you install one.  Then again, it's not like you're out a bunch of money if you don't like it.