Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ameriglo "Haven" Optic

• 1 year later...

A friend of mine has one. He bought one solely because it’s made in the Phillipines (he’s Filipino). No other reason than that. I took a look at it and it doesn’t get bright enough for me in broad daylight outdoors. It wasn’t Trijicon/Aimpoint/Holosun bright on max brightness. Better options in that price point and footprint.

I have one I got "free" on promotion when I bought a Walther PDP back in March. I see no problem with its brightness in full sunlight and it has a larger window compared to the Holosun 507c x2 I also have. Elevation and windage adjustments are firm with positive clicks. The glass is clear and bright. You can find them for under $200 online. I like it.

I've shot somewhere around 500 rounds with it mounted on the PDP and its still ticking and holding zero. 

if nothing else it's cheap enough to keep in your range bag as a backup.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using one for 6-12 months (I forget when I got it). I really like it. It works well for me, but I shoot at bullseye targets indoors, not in battle or sunny days in the South. I'm sure it's not as damage-tough as a Trijicon, but for me it works perfectly. I have astigmatism and still like the dot - it's about as good as it can be for my eyes. I really like the window size&shape compared to others. I would definitely buy it again at this point in the market. In fact, if I equip a new pistol I'd probably just buy another one to avoid studying them again (went through that for months), plus I'm trying not to buy known Chinese-made optics if I can avoid it (Holosun, etc).

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: My Haven failed last week at the range. It seemed to be eating batteries lately (dot goes away, new battery install fixes it, repeat as needed). But last week it died one day after I put in a new battery. It died at the range, turning on/off erratically. I asked Ameriglo for an RMA and they gave me that quickly, but now I'm waiting on a shipping label.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Ameriglo replaced my failed Haven totally free of charge. It took 2+ weeks all said and done from my shipping it to receiving a new one back. Not too bad. The new one is just that, a new one. If it fails I have about 2 more years of warrantee coverage on it. If this one fails I'll go elsewhere next time I buy, but until then I still like it as it meets my needs OK and has held zero well during my use at a range with 9mm basic and +P ammo.