Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New To Ipsc Shotgun-sx2 Questions

Greg Jones

I have decided to start shooting some shotgun matches and my SX2 Practical Mk 1 just arrived yesterday. I have looked back 2 years through all the relevant posts in this forum and I still have some equipment questions.

1) I will be shooting left-handed and was wondering if anyone offers a conversion for the safety to make it more left-side friendly?

2) What about side-saddles-any left-side shooters using these? I looked at the pictures at 3 Gun Gear's site and it looks like they partially block the trigger from the left side. What about the Tac Star Shotshell Carriers, any comments good or bad on them?

3) From what I have read here, I might also want to try at a minimum a light modified choke. On the Briley site there are extended chokes, spectrum chokes, ported chokes, etc. First, I assume that the ported chokes would be a no-no for U.S. Standard division, but are there any other advantages/disadvantages to any choke other than a standard flush mount? Put another way, is there any advantage to the Briley chokes over a less expensive flush mount?

Any other words of wisdom that may help me get started?

I found the answer to question #1 (read the manual!)-the factory safety is reversible. However, the manual does not go into detail on how to do it other than recommend a gunsmith perform the work. Anyone know a resource that documents how to reverse the safety?

Words of Wisdom?????????

Sell it and buy an 1100. That is an example of what you're going to hear in the world of competition shooting. If you ask 100 shooters the same thing you will get 98 different answers. The best thing to do is start shooting it and see what you like. Everyone has different taste and I'm sure you will too. You can spend a lot of money on this stuff and still not have what you want. Every new shooter that has asked me what to buy did just the opposite and then said, I should have listened. Try other shooters guns and see what feels right to you. Good luck in your quest and be safe.

Ronnie

Edited by Still Praying

I agree with what you say. One of the major factors in my deciding on the SX2 Practical is that it is more or less ready to go "out of the box." I also was interested in the 1100 CM, but since it has been discontinued I was not able to find one to look at personally. I really did not feel comfortable having a gun built from scratch when I don't know what I may want/need in a shotgun.

However, I do need to start somewhere with ammo carriers and I don't want to buy gear that is not functional and/or safe for a left-handed shooter using a right-handed gun. Hopefully there are other lefties here that can advise as to what has or has not worked for them. Thanks!

Greg

My shooting buddy is a "lefty" & loads from the California Competition Works "boxes" using his weak hand (a la Kurt Miller) four rounds at a time, this teqnique works the same no mater if your right or left handed & is fast, I personally like to keep the gun clutter free & dont like hanging ammo all over it, thus keeping it easy & fast to handle.

On choking my advice would be put a modified choke in there & leave it there ! I shoot everything through one choke (birdshot, Buck & Slug) & aim off to suit the targets, learn one choke & learn your pattern sizes with it, once you start mixing chokes you will never be able to keep track of every pattern size with all your different chokes & ammo brands out there.

Good luck.

Neil

I would say for shooting lefty you would not want one of the traditional sidesaddles at all. I would however get one of the 3 gun gear 2x4's for the forearm. It holds two shells you can easily load at slide lock with your right hand and is also a very nice place to place slugs when you have a select slug stage. +1 on Neil's advice for weakhand loading off the belt. Also consider the Carlock shuffle for stronghand loading.

Personally I love the SX2. As you said it is very likely the only gun of the big three that is ready to go right out of the box. Mine has been excellent with only the addition of sidesaddles.

Good luck, Craig

Congratulations! First, make sure you are left-eye dominant. If not, immediately stop shooting long guns off your left shoulder (the reverse applys to "right-handed" shooters who are left eye dominant - shoot the shoulder corresponding to your dominant eye). The new Benelli autos come with an oversize safety release button; perhaps someone makes a Winchester SX-2 safety bolt oversized on the release side. I suppose it would be better to reverse the safety if you find someone that makes the parts. If you can't, just learn to release from the opposite side, and that will make it easier if you every have to borrow someone else's shotgun.

You might consider learning to shoot long guns off both shoulders. Some stages have barricades, ports, and props that really favor one shoulder over the other, and your really have to contort and shoot canted to shoot off the other shoulder. If you are left-eye dominant and shoot off your right shoulder, close your left eye. Seeing the bead or fiber-optic with the wrong eye will severely change the aimpoint.

Something else you may want to try and it's cheep too. K-Mart or Wal-Mart But stock shell holder on your week wrist in addition to the 4 round belt pouches. This will give you that extra round or two and a place to put those odd slugs and keep them off of the gun.

BTW, welcome to the world of 3 gun fun. :D

Ronnie

Thanks for the suggestions everyone-they have been very helpful. I also converted the safety to the left side today-really a very simple process.

Also, Richard's suggestion of eye-dominance has me wondering about something. There is no question that I am left-eye dominant as I lost total sight in my right eye 5 years ago. I'm actually right-handed and this has not presented much of a problem shooting a pistol. I never gave any thought to a shotgun stage that may require shooting strong-hand and weak hand. Is this common in 3-gun matches, where this is going to present problems for me to shoot a stage as specified in the stage description?