Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45acp open gun loadings 155 vs 185gr

Luckynumberslevin

So I have acquired my self a vintage 45 ACP open gun. Complete with a 2 port comp and tasco built on a Colt series 80 frame.  I usually shoot IPSC open division up here in Canada and I'm familiar with loading for an open gun.  My question is regarding projectiles when it comes to 45 ACP open guns.  

I have a 200gr swc mold that I have shot 10s of thousands of, a 185gr hollow point mold and I do have a limited supply of 155gr SWC's.  Is it worth running the 155's or is there very little difference compared to the 185's when loaded on a case of slow powder?

I have shot 155 gr major since a good friend of mine Dwight Behn designed them in the early 80s. They are just as accurate as any lead bullet and shoot like any light bullet shoots compared to a heavier bullet in whatever caliber. I liked the flatter snappier major loads and the steel loads are the softest you will get out of a 45. I always used 231 powder i am sure you would have many powder choices now days,  good bullet have fun. must use good hard lead for major.

I also played around with bear Creek 155g swc  as well running them with I think 8ish grains of auto comp. This was out of a 2 port comped 1911. It shot pretty flat and dot tracking was predictable. Personally I feel the 155s are better suited then a 185 for running major. The 45 runs pretty low pressure and stuffing more powder in them with the lighter bullet equals a better working comp.