Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Evo Must-Have Sensors

None. Get the autodrive, then add sensors down the line depending on your own observations.

The bulk of the issues I've experienced from the Mark 7 stems from the primer station. Too fast of a downstroke causes the primer to flip 90 or 180 degrees in the pickup slide. This causes the primer to be seated sideways or upside down. In the worst case, the priming station gets jammed and the machine won't be able to re-index. The fix is to have a slower and smoother initial downstroke.

If you're using fully processed brass, then swage and decap sensors are unnecessary. If you're popping out old primers, then ask yourself how many decapping pins you've broken. The higher this number, the more utility you'll get from DecapSense.

As for powdercheck, this depends on how diligent you are with your powder drop. Personally, I just draw witness marks on my adjustment knob and I'm confident that the drop will stay within +/-0.2 grains (yes, this range is a little wide, but it's good enough for my uses). Double charges are only possible if the machine fails to reindex due to an indexing plate jam (stepped brass, stuck primer, or sideways bullet for examples).

Same type of diligence applies to bulletsense. Make sure your case is properly flared and your bullet dropper is in good working order.

In my experience, I've had more problems from a Mark7 Autodrive with sensors than one without. However, this is mainly due to my flawed thinking that "if something goes wrong, the machine will tell me." But it got to the point where I was mindlessly ignoring the warnings and resetting the machine instead of actually fixing the problem.

Edited by CClassForLife

That’s good input, I appreciate learning from your experience.

I’m coming from a Super 1050. I run the brass through a processing stage where they get decapped and primer pocket swaged, then rollsized, before even hitting the reloading press. I inspect for stepped brass and primers during rollsizing, and then the decap/swage on the actual reloading stage is there for backup. This has eliminated most problems in my manual reloading on the 1050 except for the occasional flipped/missed primer or jacked up bullet drop. I’ve never had a double charge but I have had one squib. 

I’ll take your advice and try without sensors and see how it goes. Thanks again.