Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small part color changes

I bought a used TSO with a color scheme that I thought would grow on me, it did not. I'd like to change the color of the charging handle but don't want to send such a tiny part off to get coated. I tried spray enamel but after one range trip it's already coming off. Are there any cheap options to re-coat small parts on firearms like magwells, mag releases, charging handles, etc? 

41 minutes ago, CC3D said:

Is that something I can do at home? I don't want to send it off to get coated 

There lots of people who do cerakote so there is most likely somebody local. It needs baked on

You may be able to try something like this too. I personally haven’t tried it but if it can hold up to solvents (if it actually does) then I would imagine it would last a while. I’m sure you’d have to still acetone it first. 

Limited-time deal: Wheeler Cerama Coat-Spray On Ceramic Coating https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QUDUOI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_dl_0DAHRQW2XEGWD2HMM2B4

cerakote.com offers some DIY kits as well but as mentioned before, it’ll have to be baked. 

1 hour ago, X5SigChris said:

You may be able to try something like this too. I personally haven’t tried it but if it can hold up to solvents (if it actually does) then I would imagine it would last a while. I’m sure you’d have to still acetone it first. 

Limited-time deal: Wheeler Cerama Coat-Spray On Ceramic Coating https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QUDUOI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_dl_0DAHRQW2XEGWD2HMM2B4

cerakote.com offers some DIY kits as well but as mentioned before, it’ll have to be baked. 

I think the main reason its very limited at DIY level is that it puts residual odors in the oven. Almost need a stand alone cheap oven instead of the wife's pride and joy.

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I think the main reason its very limited at DIY level is that it puts residual odors in the oven. Almost need a stand alone cheap oven instead of the wife's pride and joy.

This is true. I have a picture of a pair of headers that didn’t fit inside of my oven. Probably saved my marriage hahaha. 

18 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

This is the type of solution I'm looking for! Ive looked into duracote but 50 bucks for an aerosol can is a bit steep for what may turn out to be about the same as a Home Depot rattle can. I've heard mixed reviews about the aerosol duracote. Has anyone here had success with the aerosol version of the duracote? 

21 minutes ago, CC3D said:

This is the type of solution I'm looking for! Ive looked into duracote but 50 bucks for an aerosol can is a bit steep for what may turn out to be about the same as a Home Depot rattle can. I've heard mixed reviews about the aerosol duracote. Has anyone here had success with the aerosol version of the duracote? 

If you try it out, or whatever you end up trying, let us know how it turned out. I just found this on a whim actually searching because or your post. Could help me and a few others. 

4 hours ago, CC3D said:

See my previous post in this thread.

• 1 month later...

Whelp, after some trial and error it looks like there isn't a cheap way to beat a cerakote job. I tried regular rattle can, spray enamel, and the former with a clear top coat and nothing held up. I didn't bother spending the extra money for what I new would have the same result (duracote or the amazon stuff), I ended up grinding down the part to able metal and polishing it. If you're tying to go this route, I'd just get it coated professionally