Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

About to purchase an Eotech HHS-V, Has anybody had any experience with them?

Mag56

I found  a great deal (with a coupon code) on my favorite firearm accessory online store, less than $1200 with tax and shipping included. I like to think that is a good price.

Has anyone had any experience with this combo? Something similar? what about holosun or Sig Sauer combos?  

Any information will be appreciated. 

Thanks!👍🍺

I run a similar setup but I am using the EoTech EXPS2 and a EXPS3 with the original G33 magnifier on unity tactical riser systems on two of my rifles.  I love the setup.  The only issue I have with the EoTech magnifiers, is the eye box, and/or eye relief is not very forgiving.  Especially when compared to say an LPVO like the Vortex Razors.  The eye box/ eye relief on the G33 is not horrible, its not just as good as some LPVOs I have used.  

I have a G43 that I have yet to play with, and I have some concern about the performance of it, but I will have to test the unit to make sure my concern is justified by using the magnifier and putting it through its paces.  I have heard from some that the G43 and G45 eye box is even less forgiving than the G33.  If that is truly the case I am not sure I would want to use either of those magnifiers.  I tend to believe this because I have found for the G33 to have the best eye relief had to be mounted as far back on the pic rail as I could mount it for my length of pull (how far out the stock is adjusted).  If I mount the G43 like this my eye will be further away from the G43 than it is from the G33 because the G43 is a shorter magnifier.  The G45 has a profile more similar to the G43 so I would expect to find the same issue with that magnifier.  Mind you this has only what I have heard and have yet to test this on my own equipment.  

Something else to note if you intend to use the Unity Tactical riser system, (which is an amazing system and I will not use any other system after using it) the Unity Tactical system only works the G33 magnifier.  The G43 and G45 diameter is too large to fit in the magnifier mount.  I do not know if Unity Tactical has any plans to make magnifier mounts for the G43 and G45.

I also have reservations about using s 5X magnifier in combination with a red dot or holographic sighting system.  After playing with both a Red dot/holographic with a magnifier at 3X and using LPVO system with an offset red dot, if I feel the need for that particular rifle to be used at anything over 250 yds I would go LPVO with a small red dot offset.  If you intend to use the rifle 250 yds and in I would go red dot/holographic with a 3x magnifier.  You could stretch out to 300 yds with the 3X, but that would start to depend on target size when you intend to shoot that far with a 3X magnifier.  For my eyes target identification would also become a concern using a 3x magnifier at 300 yds and greater.  

I am not trying to dissuade you from your dream purchase, but I am not sure what exactly the point of a 5X magnifier is.  Trust me, I was all about the new EoTech hotness when I first saw them advertised by EoTech, but after using a 3X magnifier and an LPVO over the last 6 months, I honestly do not see the point of them.  Either go the 3X magnifier or if you feel you will ever need something greater than 3X magnification I would go with an LPVO.  For this reason I would ask what is the intended use of the rifle that optic system is going to be used on, and give that some thought before buying a 5X magnifier.

If you do purchase this combo make sure you sight in the EXPS3 first, then sight in the magnifier after.  The magnifier has the same adjustments as the Holographic sight and must be zero the same way the sight and the magnifier is zeroed.  

Also if you do not know the advantage of magnifying the Holographic sight is the dot is not magnified as much as a red dot is when a magnifier is used on a red dot.  It is one of the main reasons I went with the EoTech system.  Some claim it does not magnify holographic images at all, but I do not find this to be the case.  It does seem these is some magnification, just not as much as you see with a red dot.

Good luck in whatever direction you go in.

Edited by Boomstick303

• 3 months later...

Boomstick303, 

I finally pulled the trigger on it and pre-ordered from Heart of Texas around a week ago and I finally got it. I will post here later if it was a good decision or not lol ...