Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flashlight Cof

solaritx

With the time change, the range we shoot at allows for CoF that require flashlights and flashlight technique. Because of this, I have multiple CoF each week requiring flashlight work. Flashlight techniques is required (ie flashlight is off at all times except when actively engaging threats)

This has brought up this thought. Most CoF that I have shoot at in major matches which require flashlight work normally has the flashlight either in a holder or pocket. Gun normally starts in the holster.

In practical applications, if one is going to "investigate", rarely is the flashlight not in one's hand (unless it is with the gun in the nightstand or on the nightstand). Granted, the gun may or may not be holstered.

For that reason, I almost always have the shooter start with the flashlight in hand (if it is not a "nightstand" Cof)

If gun is holstered, shooter starts with flashlight in hand and either shooter's strong hand is naturally at side, or more often (as if in real life) shooters hand may be on gun but still hostered.

Several CoF have the shooter start with gun and flashlight at low ready.

The above starts for CoF with a flashlight are for several reasons. 1) Safety. Shooters that do not do alot of flashlight work do not need to be drawing both a flashlight and gun. Even excellent shooters find themselves less than perfect when a flashlight is thrown into the mix. With additional stress comes additional times when a FUBAR may occur. In low light or NO LIGHT, the SO has many additional problems. This minimizes the potential for problems. 2) Realism. Except for nightstand CoF or an occasional CoF that might require one to get both gun and flashlight, most situations that fall into the "it could happen" would have the shooter minimally with a flashlight in hand if not flashlight and gun in hand.

Your thoughts.

Garry N

Guess I should add a question <g>

Is there a reason why shooters should not start the normal CoF with their flashlight in their weak hand? Would this not be the reasonable and logical way to start most IDPA CoF when flashlights are in use?

Garry N

Best stage I ever shot was at a POSA Match (Police Officer's Safety Assoc)

Blind stage where after you shot you stayed in the room until all shooters had completed the stage.

Last shooter was the best.

Is the shooter ready?

Ready.

Standby//BEEP and the lights went out. All you heard was "Oh Shit"

For a person to carry a firearm and a light it is necessary to know where they both are and how to use them. Drawing a firearm from a holster and a light from a normal carry position should not be a challenge for a stage.

Regards,

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

We have some night shoots in our area. Most of them are restricted to Sharpshooters and above for classification. This gives a little cushion to "being familiar with your weapon" feeling that makes the SOs more comfortable. I see no reason not to start SOME COFs with flashlight in hand, but like most things in this game variety is important. Some from the holder, some from the drawer/night stand and some with the light in hand makes sense. Have fun and be safe.

Rick

Is there a reason why shooters should not start the normal CoF with their flashlight in their weak hand? Would this not be the reasonable and logical way to start most IDPA CoF when flashlights are in use?

Garry N

I guess if you are trying to simulate a situation where you are carrying at night and suddenly faced with a threat it would make sense to start with the flashlight stowed. After all who walks around with their flashlight in their hand when they are out at night and trouble isn't at hand?

At the Ct state match in October they had two low light stages. The first had you standing in the shower with your unloaded gun and flashlight in the bathroom vanity drawer. At the beep you had to exit the shower, don a bath robe, retrieve your gun, load it, grab your flashlight and then find and engage the threats. The second stage had you standing at a door with a briefcase in your strong hand and your flash light stowed. At the beeb you dropped the briefcase, drew weapon and flashlight, opend the door and engaged the threats.

IMHO it makes sense to have stages where you have to do both.

Does anyone you know normally walk around with flashlights in thier weak hand?

From a safety perspective I would think a shooter less likely to shoot thier weak hand if it is busy retrieving a flashlight from the opposite side of their body from the fiream rather than sticking out in front of them. I'm not sure how a muzzle control problem is solved by having the flashlight out.

Edited by Bones

Does anyone you know normally walk around with flashlights in thier weak hand?

From a safety perspective I would think a shooter less likely to shoot thier weak hand if it is busy retrieving a flashlight from the opposite side of their body from the fiream rather than sticking out in front of them. I'm not sure how a muzzle control problem is solved by having the flashlight out.

Yea, me. Just the other night something got the dogs barking out back. (we live outside of Houston) I took my flashlight and investigated. My flashlight was in my weak hand, and my handgun was legally under my jacket. What got the dog's barking.....a coyote (4 legged- not 2 legged).

No people don't normally go around with a flashlight in their hands, but if they go to investigate something....it's normally in their hand...not in their pocket.

As far as flashlight and sweeping themselves because they have a flashlight in their hand....well they need to work on their flashlight technique.

Garry N

Garry N

Sure! The CoF description could start out, "You're walking to your car in a dark corner of the crowded parking lot when you see some kind of motion near your car. You use your flashlight to illuminate the vehicle and see threatening BGs there with weapons (or insert your own instructions here ;))." This gives an understandable reason for the flashlight to be out.

I've run a number of flashlight stages. No matter how you design it someone always seems to get sequences crossed up and points a gun at their weak hand. Good to have an extra SO close to help out, like having the shooter hand off their light during loading and unloading. I rarely threw a reload at them as that just raises the skill bar beyond many shooters level of training or proficiency.

Mark