Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Contacts Vs Glasses = Different POI?

Squirrel45

Hi Everyone, 

Do any of you shoot with both contacts & eye protection vs prescription safety glasses? I have not worn contacts in some time and went to the range today and my POI was low also things see to be larger with contacts on vs glasses. Is this just all in my head ?🤔 

thanks 

Squirrel 

When I wear glasses vs contacts I notice a distortion of straight lines when I am not looking straight ahead. The outer edges of the lens will distort. If you are tilting your head when shooting with prescription glasses then you will need to adjust the sights when using contacts.

thanks , I thought I was seeing this in the past no pun intended, but kinda forgot about since iv been using my glasses for the last year or so. I think Ill have to decided do I want to shoot with glasses or contacts if it impacts the result so much.

If you can still tolerate wearing contacts, that will give you your best results.  Plus you use inexpensive plano safety glasses instead of Rx.  I still remember having to spend $600 on new lenses every time my Prescription changed.

If you don't want to wear contacts, go for something like the Smith Optics wrap around glasses.  Some of them allow the use of an Rx insert.  Then you can change colors and lenses at will.  If you Prescription changes you only need new Rx inserts.