Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rhino 40DS

JBunter

Morning folks. New to the forum so I’ll dive right in…

I have a Rhino 40DS, I want to convert it to a 60DS for competition. Has anyone ever done this before I get too far into this (which I already have the barrel nut off, shroud removed, and barrel out. Are there gap specs on the distance between the barrel and cyclinder? Or is that set on the barrel itself? Are there torque specs on snugging there barrel Into the receiver? Any wisdom would be much appreciated.

46 minutes ago, JBunter said:

Well, just got off the phone with Chiappa, they will not ship those parts. I’m an FFL (01) and they won’t ship those to me. They are asking for the entire firearm.

Yeah, unfortunately, they're very limited in what they'll ship. They also have some weird notion that a lot of parts have to go to a FFL when they're not serialized; maybe a holdover from Italy/Europe?

There's a mess of parts I'd buy if I could. Like, the single action sear; why is that controlled? Ironically, the single-to-double action conversion is all over GunBroker, and you'd think that would be way more regulated for places like CA.

Did they say they'd do the conversion?

I didn’t ask about conversions. I was REALLY hoping to simply swap the barrel from a 4” to a 6” and add the appropriate barrel shroud. Made my own barrel nut wrench from a socket and even then I think God installed the barrel nut. My hopes to covert this to a 60DS are dimming, which sucks because I do like the firearm and for competition I think it would work well due to the lack of muzzle flip. I’m not buying another Chiappa however.