Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Tactical "New Version" Review

kuduman

So I happened across one of these the other day, and purchased it, after seeing the glowing review on TFB about it.  

This is the new version with 7-round factory magazine, and 922 compliant.  Mine has the Mesa pistol-grip stock.  These are so new Beretta doesn't have an instruction manual for it, in the box or online.  Since they changed the design to fix the well-known feeding problem, a manual would be helpful.  The "manual of arms" for this gun is different from the earlier models.  But you're on your own for now.

It's reliable, and seems to operate with everything from light trap loads to heavy magnums.  That's super nice, and what I bought it for.  It's really lightweight, which is great when you're not shooting it.  

The new version has a barrel threaded for choke tubes, several of which are included.

You can watch James Reeves' review on Youtube of the older 1301 tactical model, for all the good points discussed in depth. He adds a two-shot extension, a barrel clamp with sling point and rail for a light.  The new version comes with something similar, but not as good-- sorry Beretta.

The new version has some issues in my opinion.

That light weight gets old in a hurry when you're shooting it.  Far from a deal-killer though.

The new tube is one piece, and has a plastic screw-on cover over it.  That cover doesn't fit any mag/barrel clamp of which I am aware, except the one that comes with the gun.  And that one is backwards-- it has the sling attachment point on the bottom, and the M-lok slot on the top.  So the gun is going to try to turn upside down when slung.  The other sling point on the stock is also not at the top, making for an awkward arrangement.  You can work around this-- install a sling point cup in the stock in the place of your choosing, and waste the M-lok slot on a front sling mount point.  But it's a shame Beretta didn't do it right to start with.  

There's nowhere to mount a light on the gun, except the M-lok slots on the clamp, and the light will be too far forward to operate out there.  You could do it, and glue on a switch, but Beretta should have put some slots in the handguard (or something similar).

The aftermarket parts (GG&G specifically) don't fit the tube on this new version.  So you can't just replace the clamp or add the rail section "plate" between the handguard and the tube cover (what would be a nut with a Nordic extension).  As of today, you're stuck gluing on a switch, or drilling holes in your nice new handguard.

The Mesa pistol grip stock doesn't come with cast plates, so you're stuck getting pounded in the cheek, left or right handed.

As of today, I'd say you are better off with an older one, with the Nordic extension and maybe the GG&G rail section "plate" between the nut and handguard.  

That said, it's accurate with slugs, and can shoot ridiculously fast if you want to.

I watched the same videos, bought the same model, and have the same complaints about the mounting options.  :)

Good tip about the size of the tube not being compatible with some aftermarket parts.  Thanks!

I have one of the 'standard' 1301 Tactical versions.  I added the Nordic 2 round extension kit.  https://nordiccomp.com/categories/beretta-1301-tactical-mxt-extension-kit/ 

I think I bought mine off Ebay.  It fits perfect and works well with the rail on the right side (charging handle side) and the QD swivel mount on the opposite.  I had to use the Nordic spring and cut it down to length.  The Beretta spring was too light.  I also replaced the stock front sight with an XS Tritium sight.  https://xssights.com/standard-dot-shotgun-bead-benelli-m4-beretta-1301/.  I don't like pistol grips on shotguns, so I kept the standard buttstock, but it doesn't have a QD swivel mount like my 1301 Competitions, so I bought one from Brownells https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/receiver-action-parts/receiver-action-hardware/nuts/swivel-nut-insert-xtrema-2-sku913200245-99239-56873.aspx?sku=913-200-245 and replaced the sling mount with the QD swivel nut.  I already have several Blue Force slings.  I also added an Esstac sidesaddle, just for the Timmy vibe.  I really like it.  The only thing I haven't done is open up the loading port.  It does quad load, not easily, but it does it.

Nolan

Edited by Nolan