Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Shooting A Colt 1911 22 For Steel Challenge? What Modifications Have You Done?

AzShooter

I recently got the urge to buy a 1911 22 that I may shoot for Steel Challenge RFPI if it bears out to be good enough.  I had a GSG a few years ago but my son wanted it so I gave it to him.  I've been looking for a replacement for over two years and finally found a Colt 1911 22 by Walther.  

Parts are interchangeable with standard 1911s for the most part.  First thing I did was replace those sights with a set of Dawson Precision adjustable rear and fiber optic front sight.  I put the red fo on to start but I may change to green.  I normally have a difficult seeing red at our local indoor range.

Trigger pull was over 9 pounds.  What trigger kit would you use?  I'm leaning towards a Cylinder & Slide Tactical that's supposed to bring the pull down to 4.5 pounds.  

I id fit my first Thumb Safety today.  That's to YouTube it only took my an hour to get it right.  It's now larger and easier for me to disengage.  The original would stick on safe and it was near impossible to release it.  I changed out the spring, lost the detent pin twice ( found 3 on sale so I'm ready for the next time ).  It took a bit of filing and then stoning but it now works 100% of the time.

I'll take any advice on what modifications are best with this gun.  I'm not intending to be a Master Class shooter, just a weekend warrior at our local club and have fun.  At 70 I'm happy with my accomplishments and just shoot to get away from the wife for a day and  talk to friends.

Distorted background.jpg